User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Ram Air Exhaust Manifolds

Was going to pull the trigger on the ram air exhaust manifold kit on eBay that comes with hardware and downpipes. Question is: the kit I’m looking at has a 2.25” outlet that goes to the 2.5” mandrel bent downpipes. I noticed they also have a 2.5 outlet that runs to 2.5 downpipes.
Are the larger outlets basically for the guys running 3” or should I buy the larger outlet for a better “flow”? Planning on a 2.5” with x-pipe and magnaflow mufflers. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:38 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
The 2.5" mandrel bent downpipes are mainly marketed to work with the aftermarket 2.45" outlet RA manifolds made by PYPES & RARE. IF you want to go back from there with a 3" exhaust system, you can, but honestly unless the engine is truly putting out near 500 hp at the flywheel, seriously doubt the 2.45" equiipped RA manifold 3" mandrel bent pe system will gain anything over a well designed free flowing 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust system. Many cases, with moderate engine builds, all the vehicle is gaining is the extra weight of the larger diameter pipe.

RARE and Pypes also offers 2.25" mandrel bent downpipes which seal a little better with standard sized outlet RA manifolds as well as stock RA manifolds. For many years I've made my own downpipe stubs from 2.5" mandrel bent J-tube. On two of my keeper 455 HO cars, both are being completed for Pure Stock Drags, & both are running original round port manifolds with 2.5" mandrel bent drops, Dynomax long case Super Turbo's & 2.5" mandrel bent aluminized all the way back.
chadd925 likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

What’s your take on this setup Pinion?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/RAM-AIR-exhau...kAAOSwrlRZw9Qc

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I like the reproduction ram air manifolds - and I'm a guy who's running headers on my own car. If I wasn't interested in "getting everything" out of my engine you can bet I'd be running a set of manifolds.

However, be aware that there are multiple vendors for these manifolds and they are not all of the same quality. Be careful and do your homework.

Bear
chadd925 likes this.

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
My '71 GTO came with a set of bent, dented and rusted headers, which I had zero interest in. Even in good shape, I would have removed them. I wasn't looking for every once of power from the original, going to be stock motor. Some form of originality was more important. I read several articles about the Ram Air exhaust manifolds, liked the looks of them, and bought a pair from Ames. I went with the 2.25" size. Read that they seal better and are easier to install. They've been on for about 1.5 years and still look great. No regrets here. BTW, not a bad price for the manifolds in thread #3 . It appears that you get the exhaust pipes also.
chadd925 likes this.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadd925 View Post
Whatís your take on this setup Pinion?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/RAM-AIR-exhau...kAAOSwrlRZw9Qc
Delfield's eBay deal on the '64-67 & '68-72 style manifolds/ mandrel bent down pipes are a good deal! Mandrel bent down down pipes are very important, the first bend is very restrictive with typical muffler shop bent head pipes.
tiretread and chadd925 like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
My '71 GTO came with a set of bent, dented and rusted headers, which I had zero interest in. Even in good shape, I would have removed them. I wasn't looking for every once of power from the original, going to be stock motor. Some form of originality was more important. I read several articles about the Ram Air exhaust manifolds, liked the looks of them, and bought a pair from Ames. I went with the 2.25" size. Read that they seal better and are easier to install. They've been on for about 1.5 years and still look great. No regrets here. BTW, not a bad price for the manifolds in thread #3 . It appears that you get the exhaust pipes also.
I have Zero interest in my headers that are currently installed. I mangled them to clear the rag joint while adding power steering, they bounce off the upper arms and rub on the Z bar underneath. There is one particular passenger side bolt I plan on melting, pressing it into a .308 casing and firing into the pacific ocean. Hopefully it gets eaten by 1,000 animals and thus being shi* out a thousand times. Ordered the manifolds.
Bredfan likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 PM

Feel your pain. am dealing with a local customer/long time friend whose drivers side header as well as frame & z-bar were mangled in an accident several years back. Frame has been professionally repaired and body is on roller cart getting 1/4 panel & trunk replacement. We'd both love to see the car ditch its 3 tube headers & get a set of RARE oversize manifolds & mandrel bent down pipes, but till metal work & bodywork is complete, such pieces have to wait.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 05:41 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have Zero interest in my headers that are currently installed. I mangled them to clear the rag joint while adding power steering, they bounce off the upper arms and rub on the Z bar underneath. There is one particular passenger side bolt I plan on melting, pressing it into a .308 casing and firing into the pacific ocean. Hopefully it gets eaten by 1,000 animals and thus being shi* out a thousand times. Ordered the manifolds.

Tell us how you really feel about your headers. LOL And.......you would probably have a Hazmat Team at your doorstep for shooting the iron slug into the ocean waters, so do it at night, do it discreetly. LOL

As has been told by many stories here on the forum, some brand headers and the cars year and engine/trans combo's just don't seem to fit well at all. Everything from denting them to fit to cutting the pipes and re-working them have come up. But then some guys have zero fitment problems. RA exhaust manifolds just seem the best way to go unless you have to just have headers or want max performance.

I have not installed them, but I got the Doug's headers as they are said to be one of the best fitting. Not inexpensive in my book and even pricier with the ceramic coating on them. My '68 uses that swivel link Z-bar (pic on left) which is a bit bulky and the Doug's headers said to go with the earlier 1964-65 straight tube Z-bar (pic on right) which does not have the swivel link. I'll mock it all up and modify/adjust my clutch linkage as needed - which will be easier with the nose off the car where I can get to everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1968-72 A-Body Z-Bar.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	109666   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964-67 GTO Z-bar.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	109674  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
You made a good decision. I don't think you'll be sorry at all. Couldn't get mine off fast enough. Where I could, I used my saw-zall on them. The bottom of the tubes were becoming flattened by bottoming out. Have no idea what someone had been hitting. Couldn't have been good for the motor at all. Maybe I shouldn't repeat this, because I'm trying accurately to recall what I read about headers a few years ago, and I don't want to be misleading. It seems that a major magazine did a test on a Pontiac engine, using a log type exhaust manifold, Ram Air manifold and long tube headers. The log manifold was terrible for performance. If I recall it correctly, the Ram Air manifold worked quite well. Almost every bit as good as the headers, until you reached 450hp or more. Then the tube headers excelled and the motor performed better with them. At least I think that is my recollection. After reading that, it was a no brainer for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in