Ram Air IV exhaust manifolds - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ram Air IV exhaust manifolds

Installing a 69 400 in my 65 GTO will the Ram Air IV exhaust manifolds fit? Would like to use them if possible.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
They will only fit if you have RamAir IV heads. Do you?

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
RA IV exhaust manifolds would probably work with any round port Pontiac head that has the necessary bolt holes.

Reproduction D port exhaust manifolds are available though and they would probably work well for your application.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake View Post
RA IV exhaust manifolds would probably work with any round port Pontiac head that has the necessary bolt holes.

Exactly, which would include 68 1/2 Ram Air II, 69-70 Ram Air IV, 71-72 455 HO, 73-74 455 SD

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
either way the RA reproduction manifolds are a much better fit in the car than headers and flow nearly as well. Put them on mine and will never put another pair of headers in a Pontiac unless it's pushing over 500 HP.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Using Edelbrock round port heads. Was wondering if they will clear a-arms and frame on my 65. Thanks
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO52 View Post
Using Edelbrock round port heads. Was wondering if they will clear a-arms and frame on my 65. Thanks
Well, I would have thought they'd work but I got curious and just called Ram Air Restoration myself (https://www.ramairrestoration.com/contact-us) and asked. The guy says they won't work because of interference on the driver's side with the frame.

Color me surprised.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

Last edited by BearGFR; 10-27-2018 at 10:00 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

That's good to know. Looks like I'll be using headers. Thanks Bear I appreciate your help
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO52 View Post
That's good to know. Looks like I'll be using headers. Thanks Bear I appreciate your help
Good luck! Obviously I don't know my 65's as well as I do 69's --- Maybe GeeTee knows which headers are the least painful on 65's --- they all suck, just some suck less.

I too have round port Edelbrocks on my 69 and am running Doug's D567's on it. To get them to work, I had to make some changes:

Relocate the brake distribution block from the inside of the drivers side frame rail to the top.
  • Convert to a mini-starter, otherwise R&R of the starter on the drivers side would not be possible without loosening the header.
  • Re-bend and re-route the rod that operates the 'back drive' linkage between the transmission and the steering column lock.
  • Re-route the transmission cooler lines away from the passenger side header to keep them from getting heated

After that, still if/when I remove the passenger side lower control arm I'm going to have to move the header out of the way in order to remove one of the bolts. If I were to turn the bolt around backwards so that the nut end is next to the header, the end of the bolt that sticks out through the nut would wear a hole in that tube - that's how close it is.

Other tips:
I like RemFlex graphite gaskets
'This time' I replaced some of the bolts on both sides with studs. This makes it a LOT easier if you ever have to loosen and reinstall the headers because you can "hang" the gasket and the header on the studs and not have to try to hold them both in place while you start the bolts.
If you want protective coating, the way to go is to buy bare headers and then send them off to JetHot for coating. Their coating is better - especially if you get the upgraded "extreme heat" coating. I had mine done in a dark blue that goes really well with the 69 silver blue metallic engine paint.

I have no direct experience with other brands, but I have "heard" that MadDog headers fit well.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 05:50 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Are the head heights different? I'm asking, because two of my friends are running the RARE cast iron HO exhaust manifolds on their '65 GTO's with zero issues. They perform and sound great. With no exhaust leaks. Another friend has HO manifolds on his '67 GTO.....again, no issues at ALL. I've run Hooker, Hedmann, Eagle, and other headers on early GTO's....and ALL of them were a PITA to install, required mods done to the headers AND car to fit, and all eventually leaked. I hear Doug's are about the best fit these days, but I would definitely go with cast HO manifolds on an early GTO. The trick to install them on the driver's side is to put the bolts into the manifold holes BEFORE you lower the manifold down into the engine compartment. If you try to put them in while holding the manifold to the head, the bolts will be too long to maneuver into place. But if they're already inserted into the holes, piece of cake. All of the cars above have been running these manifolds for many years and thousands of miles with zero issues........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in