Ram Air Restoration exhaust - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ram Air Restoration exhaust

I finally got it! Brand new 2.5" outlet Ram Air manifolds, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with stainless steel splitters. I was a little dissapointed on the finish of the exhaust, it is not what they show on their website. the one they show is a coated exhaust which is extra that they do not tell you. Also, they tell you that the "x pipe" is not 2 welded elbows together, yes it is, they tell me they port it differently than anyone else. As for the manifolds, they are beautiful! that part I am extremely happy with. I will try to attach pics later, for some reason the jpeg files are too big that I took with my phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Hate that you are disappointed with your exhaust, appreciate you posting about it. Glad the manifolds are great. I do a lot of online ordering, but this makes me think that on expensive stuff, it would be good to order on the phone and ask questions about what I'm ordering. Hope the system works out for you and luck with the pics.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

1968gto421, That is the problem, I did order over the phone and Paul at Ram Air Restorations conveniently forgot to mention that the exhaust would not look like what is pictured on the website. I would never think to ask if it looks like what is pictured, you figure that is what you are getting. I did contact Paul and he said that if I am not satisfied, he would return it for a full refund. That was nice but I would have to pay a fortune in shipping to ship it back. It is really not a bad system, just not custom show quality like advertised. It should work as stated though.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
1968GTO has some good advice. I also do a lot of online shopping and before I order I thoroughly research the site to avoid any surprises. The Ram Air site is no different. When an item is listed as “shown with” it means options are available and sellers usually show the item with all the bells and whistles. They really should say “shown with optional”… however, at the bottom of the Ram Air web page it clearly shows the upcharge for the coating. Surprised the salesmen didn’t try to sell it, that’s his job. If you really want the coating tell the salesman there was some miscommunication and maybe they can work something out (return shipping, etc.). I had my headers coated and it is a nice feature.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shader View Post
1968GTO has some good advice. I also do a lot of online shopping and before I order I thoroughly research the site to avoid any surprises. The Ram Air site is no different. When an item is listed as “shown with” it means options are available and sellers usually show the item with all the bells and whistles. They really should say “shown with optional”… however, at the bottom of the Ram Air web page it clearly shows the upcharge for the coating. Surprised the salesmen didn’t try to sell it, that’s his job. If you really want the coating tell the salesman there was some miscommunication and maybe they can work something out (return shipping, etc.). I had my headers coated and it is a nice feature.
Good advice, certainly worth trying. Time on the phone would be your only loss and RamAir may work something out. Let us know......Luck!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shader View Post
Shader, I have researched this for about 1.5 years, Pypes, Flowmaster, etc.,. and there is no information on anybody having their exhaust on any GM A body online and whatever info is out there is minimal. I have talked with Paul at Ram Air on 3 different occasions before I bought it and tried to ask all the questions I could possibly think of. As for "clearly shows the upcharge for the coating" is for the manifolds only, not the exhaust system, I know, I opted for it in the grey. Since they make no mention of pipes being coated, I thought that is the way they naturally came, not even being coated. Paul at Ram Air Restoration said when I called him back,he wasn't even sure himself but after looking at the picture, he determined that the exhaust in the picture is coated and that they do not coat it because of welding the exhaust together. He said after I get it welded I can send it back and they will coat it for $20 a linear foot. Still would have to pay full price for shipping both ways though.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Obviously I missed the gist of your post. I thought the issue was with the manifolds as those are the only things I have seen coated. That said, apparently the web pictures are misleading. If I saw the exhaust and tailpipes coated and no mention of an upcharge I also would believe that’s what I was to get. Glad you like the manifolds. Plan to buy a set for my 64 and your “review” confirms what I have read. Good luck with the project.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Here we go guys,

The last image is what it is supposed to look like, and the first images are what I really got. By the way, they give you crappy universal hangers so I had to buy the hanger kit from Pypes. There is another $75 on top of the $625. I am really doing this so nobody else gets taken. I will keep you guys posted on the following weeks on the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_062503.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	84466   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161117_062516.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	84474   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161121_174348.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	647.0 KB
ID:	84482   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161121_174408.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	561.5 KB
ID:	84490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exh system ad.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	84498  

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemanster70 View Post
Here we go guys,

The last image is what it is supposed to look like, and the first images are what I really got. By the way, they give you crappy universal hangers so I had to buy the hanger kit from Pypes. There is another $75 on top of the $625. I am really doing this so nobody else gets taken. I will keep you guys posted on the following weeks on the install.
Thanks, LeManster, I for one appreciate the info you posted here on this. It's certainly not as bad as Goat Roper's and zrsteve's engines at Central Virginia but it is disappointing to hear about RamAir as I've heard their manifolds are so much better than the other offerings out there. I've been considering the manifolds to replace the logs on my '68. Maybe the way to go is to get the RamAir manifolds and the exhaust system from Pypes. Shoot, it's always something isn't it?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

You are correct 1968gto421, I was originally looking at doing the Ram Air/Pypes combo but Pypes told me that they did not make ram air pipes that accommodated the oversized outlet ports on the manifolds I picked. Now whether the person I talked to knew what they we talking about is unknown because I can't see my scenario being something that nobody has ever though of before. And like I said, the manifolds are great, those I am very happy with.

You know, the money that I have to spend on this car I have to save for, so it takes me a long time to save up this kind of money to do it top of the line and when you research something and you get something that you worked so hard for and it isn't what you expected or promised, its really irritating. I can only imagine how Goat Roper and zrsteve feels. I only spent $1600, these guys spent 4-5 times that amount and got nothing for it but headaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in