rear coil spring height - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
rear coil spring height

I recently purchased a 1967 GTO. The man I bought if from said that he thinks that the person who owned it before him did a 1" lowering on the rear of the car. I pulled out the rear springs and their height was about 12 1/2 in tall with no weight on them just standing on my work bench. I would like to know what a pair of stock rear coil springs height should be. It appeared to me that the car sat about 1 to 1/2 in lower than it should.

thank you in advance. I will wait for an answer before ordering any new coil springs or shocks.
alan

Last edited by alanmay0; 09-27-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Moog recommends their Rear Coil Spring Number 5409 as a replacement for the 1967 GTO's factory-installed springs. The 5409 has a "Free Height (i.e. uninstalled height)" of 13.44 inches. Based on Moog's information, your existing coils have been cut by approximately one inch.

Cutting variable rate rear Coil Springs is bad. Additionally, rear coils that have been shortened stand a chance of falling out when the car goes over a substantial bump (since the coils are shorter the stock shocks will allow the rear axle to drop enough that the springs fall out) -- however there are spring retainers that can be installed to prevent the coils from falling out.

I'd be concerned about what the PO did to the front springs: Cutting FRONT Coil Springs is even worse, safety wise, then cutting the rear springs. Cutting the front springs changes the geometry of your front suspension, plus the shocks don't fit right. Lowering/Drop Spindles are a better/safer option.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Front coil spring height

Thanks for the information. I have not yet removed a front coil spring to measure it. Do you know what the height of a stock front coil spring on a 1967 GTO with factory A/C should be??? If you can tell me then I will remove one and measure it.

Thanks very much for your help.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmay0 View Post
Thanks for the information. I have not yet removed a front coil spring to measure it. Do you know what the height of a stock front coil spring on a 1967 GTO with factory A/C should be??? If you can tell me then I will remove one and measure it.

Thanks very much for your help.
Google a company by the name of Coil Spring Specialties. They will make you the exact same springs that came on your car originally. I used CSS on both my goats and the ride heights are perfect. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in