Steering column - Tilt & Collapsible - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Steering column - Tilt & Collapsible

I am considering upgrading the steering column to a collapsible (safety) and tilt unit. I am curious what others have done with the GTOs steering columns. I have not found any posts on the subject, yet I know it is quite common with other cars. (I did a trick setup in my 56 Bel Air.)

Flaming River, ididit, Borgenson, other ? Thanks in advance

Chris

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 03:43 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Have you gotten any replies on this? I'm looking to do the same in my '66 Tempest.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
The cleanest installation in a '66 would be to install a rebuilt '67 "Pontiac" A-body Energy Absorbing tilt column. The outer tube (expanded metal tube) as well as the bullet shaped lower bowl are slighty larger diameter than previous model (same length A-body columns). On the '66 Tempest/LeMans/GTO this will require swapping to the '67 dash bezel. The '67 bezel is slightly larger in diameter where the lower column bowl abuts the bezel. Will also need to use the '67 bolt on bracket that cradles the column and bolts up under the dash. There are actually 2 different versions of these for '67's one for factory heater cars, one for factory AC cars. Its been many years since I sold a '67 FS tilt for this swap, but the results turned out very clean, if one didn't know the slight difference in the '67 bezel from the '66 bezel, one would have never noticed.

On a '64 or '65, the same '67 Pontiac A-body column could be installed. Have ran across this same swap several times. The stamped steel toe plates are the same '64-67. The column is the same length. The only issue would be bolting the '67 column up to the under structure pf the '65 with a bracket. The opening between the pot metal trim pieces on the '65 dash, from memory, is a little larger than in the '66 which uses a molded plastic filler piece (which is part that slides up and down the '66 column tube, when one pulls a '66 Pontiac A-body steering column). Have a fairly decent supply of the stamped steel brackets that support '67 A-body steering columns, need to do some examining to see if in unmodified condition, that bracket will directly bolt up to dash understucture on a '64 or 65. Will ck. that on my next road trip as have another partscar to pick up & the owner has several earlier Pontiac A-body's w/o columns in them (I bought them previously).

Not a fan at all of the Parts Place, but they do have one of the remaining national specialty GM early tilt column builders supplying rebuilt Saginaw floorshift tilt columns for '67 GTO's. Currently on Parts Place website at $749, which honestly isn't that bad of a price, esp if it is same quality of tilt column that is being built out E Texas (Ames sells the TX vendors product). The same '67 Pontiac A-body tilt column but with correct tilt and turn signal levers is also the same as would be used in '67 Olds Cutlass and Buick Skylarks, '67 Chevelle columns are all by themselves, totally different lower bowl design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in