Still having issues with new brake job - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Still having issues with new brake job

Replaced everything on the rear, but the adjuster does not fit against the little wheel, I can push it in toward the wheel but it backs out about a half an inch like it was on a spring. As soon as i push it toward the wheel it springs back out. Any Ideas Thanks, Deano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:53 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiko View Post
Replaced everything on the rear, but the adjuster does not fit against the little wheel, I can push it in toward the wheel but it backs out about a half an inch like it was on a spring. As soon as i push it toward the wheel it springs back out. Any Ideas Thanks, Deano
Pull the drum back off and take a look. You may have installed something incorrectly or it slipped out of position. You should be able to adjust the brake shoes before installing the drum.

Adjust your brake shoes out a little at a time and slip the drum over and rotate the drum listening/feeling for drag. Keep doing this until the drum just begins to drag. When it does, your brake shoes should be about right.

The self adjuster works when you back the car up and hit the brakes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Pull the drum back off and take a look. You may have installed something incorrectly or it slipped out of position. You should be able to adjust the brake shoes before installing the drum.

Adjust your brake shoes out a little at a time and slip the drum over and rotate the drum listening/feeling for drag. Keep doing this until the drum just begins to drag. When it does, your brake shoes should be about right.

The self adjuster works when you back the car up and hit the brakes.
OK Thanks, I guess I will take everything off and re do. cannot for the life of me figure why the adjuster wont make contact with the little wheel

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:35 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiko View Post
OK Thanks, I guess I will take everything off and re do. cannot for the life of me figure why the adjuster wont make contact with the little wheel
Have had that happen to me. It was something simple as I recall and may have been the brake strut (the flat bar that spans inbetween the 2 shoes at the top) was not correctly seated into the small pivot. Make sure the return spring is in place under the adjuster lever. The lower spring that holds the brakes together at the bottom should have the single wire on the star wheel side, and not the coil section of the brake spring.

Check that small pivot piece that hooks to the top of the adjuster and make sure the springs are in the correct holes. I recall that some shoes have different holes depending on what type car they came off of if they are remanufactured and you may not have the correct tension as needed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
That flat strut bar can be reversed if I remember, correctly, it may be what is holding the adjuster out. Like PJ said relook at it again...it is a minor thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in