Torque specs for rear upper/lower control arms - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Torque specs for rear upper/lower control arms

does anyone know the torque specs for 69 gto upper and lower control arms i know it has to be setting on wheels but knot sure of torque ..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
66 & 67 factory manual says 80 ft lbs on the nuts and 105 on the bolts....

I just put the torque wrench on the nut and get 80 ft lb......

Just did those....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Ps this is rear.....rear wheels...four control arms....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 06:33 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
If using the factory type rubber bushings, you want to have your car at riding height, ie, on the ground. The rubber acts as a torsion bar once it is tightened and locked into position with the ride height placing the rubber bushing in its "neutral" position.

This is not the case with the poly bushings as these rotate on the center shaft or outer shell of the bushing and is why some say they squeak or are noisey - and why some have grease fittings to minimize this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks......... so if thats the case i can torque them while car is in the air,, i am using poly.........
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calray View Post
thanks......... so if thats the case i can torque them while car is in the air,, i am using poly.........
Yep, I think you are good. I am using a custom upper control arm having one end with the poly and it will be held in place when bolted down and then the outer shell will move/slide on the poly. It even came with some grease to apply to the poly. Here is some additional info that will help you - https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...k/33732/page1/

However, being mine are custom, I am adding grease fittings myself thinking I may be able to pump some grease in them from time to time IF they get squeaky as I have read about. Now some come with fittings and I suspect they may have some form of grooves internally to flow the grease around the bushing, so I am just winging it on my theory and might be gaining nothing, but since I am building them myself,.....what the heck, right?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

thanks.................. i called energy and was told in a year i would have to take them out and grease them up again.......if had to do over would have went back to rubber .............just saying ..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in