Wilwood front brake - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wilwood front brake

I apologize if this has been answered in the past, but I used the search feature and could not find what I needed.

I am looking at upgrading the front drum brakes on my LeMans to Wilwood's Dynolite Pro Series. I like their kit because it uses the factory spindles. Currently I have 15" Ralley II wheels on the my car and I would like to continue to use them. I am not positive but I think that the front wheels are 15x7 since the front tires are only 215s. My question is, will this brake set up fit with the Ralley IIs I have on the car? Wilwood says the kit works with most 15 inch wheels. I tried using their measuring diagram but did not have any luck. Is anyone else running this brake system with Ralley IIs?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If this is the same kit we used on my sons 68 GTO the 12.19" rotors just clear the inside of 17" Ralleye II he has on his goat.
I would guess they wont fit behind your 15" rims
This is the diagram we used from Wilwood
http://www.wilwood.com/Images/BrakeK...448_wcd-lg.jpg
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

The kit I'm looking at has 11" rotors. Here's a link to it on Summit's site:

Wilwood Dynalite Pro Series Front Disc Brake Kits 140-10996 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

How did you go about using the diagram to check if it would fit? I tried it using a couple straight edges without much success.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

I made a template based on Wilwood's instruction sheet for this brake kit. It looks like they should fit. Here are a couple pictures of the template. Is this right? If so, there should be plenty of room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	74009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	74017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	74025  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I made a template based on Wilwood's instruction sheet for this brake kit. It looks like they should fit. Here are a couple pictures of the template. Is this right? If so, there should be plenty of room.
I haven't any real experience with this and can't offer any advice other than your templates have to take into account the caliper position which rides on the 11" rotors. I don't know if your templates are based on an 11" only rotor and don't include the additional clearances needed for the caliper.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

The template was made taking into account for the caliper as well. The diagram for the 11" kit is the same as the one bondobill posted except the measurements are slightly smaller. Instead of a half height of 7.15", I need 6.57" for this to work. I made the template to 13.14" exactly and cut the corners at 1.25" radius. Incredibly, I have a juice glass that was a hair smaller than 2.5" diameter so I used that to mark for the corners. I think what I did makes sense. There seems to be more clearance than I expected. I rechecked my measurements several times and everything seems to be right.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
The template was made taking into account for the caliper as well. The diagram for the 11" kit is the same as the one bondobill posted except the measurements are slightly smaller. Instead of a half height of 7.15", I need 6.57" for this to work. I made the template to 13.14" exactly and cut the corners at 1.25" radius. Incredibly, I have a juice glass that was a hair smaller than 2.5" diameter so I used that to mark for the corners. I think what I did makes sense. There seems to be more clearance than I expected. I rechecked my measurements several times and everything seems to be right.
We used cardboard for our template also.

Looks like you should be good to go

We have had the Wilwoods on now for better then 3 years. We have no complaints.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help with this. I needed a little peace of mind before I pulled the trigger on this. I would have hated to end up with really expensive paperweights.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 AM

Just remembered this morn.
The threads on Wilwoods lugs are different than the stock Pontiac lugs. At least they where on the brakes we ordered. We ordered the lug nuts they reccomended. No big deal unless you want to use the black dot Pontiac nuts.

Bill
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again. I was wondering if the threads would be the same. My car is not a concourse perfect car, so changing the style lug nut is no big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in