1974 gto vin #

can anyone authenticate this before I buy it? 2Y17B4L110160
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Y indicates a standard Ventura. A GTO "should" have a Z, meaning Custom Series. It does have the B engine code, which indicates a GTO 350 CID/200 HP. I can't answer if it's a true GTO, or a Ventura that was ordered with the beefier engine.

https://books.google.com/books?id=4Yu2yAliH8UC&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=1974+p ontiac+gto+vin+numbers&source=bl&ots=Qe4URkjKWx&si g=4jyZY-FllwmphNTG3ZBAMMPnxk4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vJqyVLqjEIehNr 3IgYAK&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=1974%20pontiac% 20gto%20vin%20numbers&f=false

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 12:13 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
The GTO was an option on the Ventura 2XY and Ventura Custom 2XZ -found on the data plate on the firewall.

The letter "B" at one source says it is a GTO 350CI. Another source I have says the letter "K" is used for the GTO 350CI. So I'm no expert and can't say one way or the other.

Head castings should be "46".

The GTO option included front and rear sway bars. Ventura's probably did not have the rear sway bar -so this might be something to check.

Engine code on the block should have a VIN number stamped on it that matches the VIN tag on the dash -L110160. If they match, then the original engine is in the car. Then I would look at the Letter code on the block to confirm the engine.

This site has a bunch of info: 1974 GTO DOT COM Click on "resources" on this web page to get the info on vin numbers and data plate info.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:48 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
The GTO was an option on the Ventura 2XY and Ventura Custom 2XZ -found on the data plate on the firewall.

The letter "B" at one source says it is a GTO 350CI. Another source I have says the letter "K" is used for the GTO 350CI. So I'm no expert and can't say one way or the other.

Head castings should be "46".

The GTO option included front and rear sway bars. Ventura's probably did not have the rear sway bar -so this might be something to check.

Engine code on the block should have a VIN number stamped on it that matches the VIN tag on the dash -L110160. If they match, then the original engine is in the car. Then I would look at the Letter code on the block to confirm the engine.

This site has a bunch of info: 1974 GTO DOT COM Click on "resources" on this web page to get the info on vin numbers and data plate info.
I have owned several 74 GTOs over the years, and all of them have had the "B" engine code. I have seen different engine codes listed in some sources, but I think that's incorrect.

Ultimately, the best thing to do is call PHS and ask to have the documents faxed to you. Then you know for sure

Importsmasher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in