User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
60's GTO VIN Search for ownwership

Greetings,

I am primarily a Buick guy but I have one 70 GTO project that is taking a while due to the extreme neglect of the PO....

I have an opportunity to acquire a 66 goat in good condition with no motor. Everything else is very restorable and I am in love with this car.

The Problem:
I found this car by accident at an estate sale and no one has any record of the vehicle...I have tried AAA, and plan to go to the CA DMV, but they won't issue a new title without a bill of sale.....

Are there any creative ways to get this info? I'd hate to see the car get parted out if the current person in posession of the vehicle can't sell it in it's all original form....

Any help would be appreciated.

=GQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 05:18 AM

Garage
you could always go through the ads in the magazines that offer to help get a lost or stolen title.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Why can't you get a bill of sale from the estate?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:53 PM

I don't think I totally understand your question/issue. You haven't bought the car? You don't want to buy it until you know you can title it? Well anyway, maybe this will help: I had a friend who used to work at a bank dealing with cars and the DMV. I bought a classic jeep CJ3B one time and it had no title. One of the things she told me was that I'll need a Bill of Sale to title it. She said I could have anyone, even my wife, write a Bill of Sale, saying I bought it from her, they don't really care and it's really of no value to them but for some reason they need it. It seemed really strange to me but that's what she said. Of course, I'd use a buddy instead of my wife, "just in case". I ended up selling the jeep when I bought my GTO so I never did get to go through the experience. Best bet: call the DMV and talk to someone.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
As stated above "I found this car by accident at an estate sale and no one has any record of the vehicle..."...not even the people selling off the other stuff. They don't even know where the car came from, just that it's been there for many years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GTO421HO View Post
I don't think I totally understand your question/issue. You haven't bought the car? You don't want to buy it until you know you can title it? Well anyway, maybe this will help: I had a friend who used to work at a bank dealing with cars and the DMV. I bought a classic jeep CJ3B one time and it had no title. One of the things she told me was that I'll need a Bill of Sale to title it. She said I could have anyone, even my wife, write a Bill of Sale, saying I bought it from her, they don't really care and it's really of no value to them but for some reason they need it. It seemed really strange to me but that's what she said. Of course, I'd use a buddy instead of my wife, "just in case". I ended up selling the jeep when I bought my GTO so I never did get to go through the experience. Best bet: call the DMV and talk to someone.
CA DMV are real sticklers when it comes to titles and registration. I plan to try what you said, I just wanted to make sure the car wasn't stolen or otherwise before I start a paper trail and end up getting someone in trouble...and no, I have not bought the car yet...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 AM

I bought a 1965 Lemans that was sitting beside a house in Palmdale, CA. The guy that had the car had owned a machine shop that rebuilt the engine. The guy never came back to pay for the engine or for having it installed. 10+ years later the guy sold the car to me. I got it titled with a bill of sale from him and the car was never even in his name. I live in CA too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtoquest View Post
As stated above "I found this car by accident at an estate sale and no one has any record of the vehicle..."...not even the people selling off the other stuff. They don't even know where the car came from, just that it's been there for many years....
It doesn't matter, if you buy the car from the esstate, then THEY can give you a bill of sale for it. After all, you ARE buying it from them. You pay money, you get a receipt, the receipt IS your bill of sale.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

The plot thickens...

Come to find out, the VIN tag is missing......no tag inside the drivers door between the hinges, no body options tag, etc.

I personally could care less about the legitemacy of it being a "bonafide" GTO, but it looks like it's time to move on....

Even if I could get a replacement VIN, it would be classified as a 2009 vehicle....

Thanks for the assistance.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
66 GTO quest.........you are making the right decision, big time. Move on to the next. They're out there, and, in this current economy, priced fairly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in