1Likes
  • 1 Post By PontiacJim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
66 convertible VIN sequence error?

I believe I know how to decode VIN, but I think theRe may be error on title for my 66

Printed Title vin starts out 242267

242, Pontic GTO. Then it should be 67, indicating convertible body, then 6 for year. Guessing dmv made mistake but I donít want to bark up that tree if I donít have to. Anyone else seen this before?

Last edited by Topless66; 11-04-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Clarification of details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless66 View Post
I believe I know how to decode VIN, but I think theRe may be error on title for my 66

Printed Title vin starts out 242267

242, Pontic GTO. Then it should be 67, indicating convertible body, then 6 for year. Guessing dmv made mistake but I donít want to bark up that tree if I donít have to. Anyone else seen this before?
Your title should match the VIN - easy enough. To confirm the body/year, check your Data plate on the firewall. You should see 66-24267 - Year 19(66), 242 - GTO, 67 - Convertible.
Your VIN number is also stamped on the frame which many DMV will verify to authenticate the car and ensure it has not been stolen.

So the title needs to match the VIN, and if not, then it could have been a typo error and it can be corrected when you go to register the car.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Simple error to have corrected through your state title & tag power.

One of the above prefixes (body styles), originally began the VIN of every 1966 or 1967 Pontiac GTO.

If the error had been in anything other than those first 5 digits, the car would have needed a much more intense inspection.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Pontiac Jim and Pinion Head thanks so much for the insight. I have never had to deal with Title error and history has taught me the DMV can be challenging. I use AAA here in CA and they have a DMV office that should be able to handle it first thing Monday. I was able to get my camera to reach the block numbers and it reads as 778789 with a June 1st, 1966 date code. I read on a GTO info page this may indicate a numbers matching block. There are several different casting numbers, but I believe that one is crucial. There are a few things from PHS that came with the car, so I think I have a real deal numbers matching convertible with less than 30,000 actual miles on it. I plan to call PHS on Monday and get an explanation of the docs they sold the previous owner for $80. I am located in San Clemente CA and we cruised PCH with the top down today. Heavenly ride. A few minor things require attention but this goat is ready to run. I'll be exploring the forum for some local experts. Thx again
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Went to AAA and DMV, without being able to locate a second VIN number on the car, they referred me to CHP. Unfortunately they are not avail to do VIN verification for 60 days. I tried with mirror to locate second vin on Framerail as indicated by some other posts, but I couldn't find it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:11 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless66 View Post
Went to AAA and DMV, without being able to locate a second VIN number on the car, they referred me to CHP. Unfortunately they are not avail to do VIN verification for 60 days. I tried with mirror to locate second vin on Framerail as indicated by some other posts, but I couldn't find it.
My reference book says it is on the left (drivers side) rear frame rail just past the body bushing. It will be found on the top portion of the frame, so you may have to get in there with a scuff pad/sandpaper or other to clean the metal and use a mirror to see it.
Topless66 likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

After 4 hours at the CA DMV and 2 hours at the local CHP office, everything is sorted. The CHP inspector put car on lift and had to do a lot of scuffing. When he came back with the paperwork his arm was thrashed. It took so long I thought he went for a cruise. He was super cool, but for technical reasons I was not allowed to be present when he inspected the frame rail. Now its time to spend some $ with Ames!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in