67 gto matching # engine - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
67 gto matching # engine

I am new here, also first time pont owner. I posted a question earlier today trying to find out about the engine that is in my 67 GTO i purchased. After doing some research, SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME if this is not correct. On my PHS DOC it shows engine unit #599504 . on the front of my block it has 511548 WS. So this is not the original engine? ALL HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum! By the paperwork, no not original block. someone appears to have had a lot of patience or just stumbled onto a WS block that is fairly closely dated. Not that big a deal, unless you are in this '67 HO car real deep & the car was represented as having an original numbers matching block/engine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was told that that it did not have orig engine. I was just wanting to confirm what engine i had. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:18 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
No the original engine, but still the 'correct' engine for the car. As stated, not really an issue, since you didn't buy it as a matching engine car. Amazing that the replacement engine is so close to the original, though. That took a LOT of searching, or just dumb luck. Enjoy your ride!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How do I match up my motor to my vin? I've done some research but it's tough to find the numbers on the back of the block (67). I'm new to this, so any help is appreciated. 313410 YS on the front of the block.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGB33 View Post
How do I match up my motor to my vin? I've done some research but it's tough to find the numbers on the back of the block (67). I'm new to this, so any help is appreciated. 313410 YS on the front of the block.
The partial VIN was not stamped on the block until 1968, so you will not find a VIN. The number I believe you have is the Engine Unit Number (EUN) or Sequence Number. The PHS documents may show the EUN if anything. Otherwise, casting date codes.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
The partial VIN was not stamped on the block until 1968, so you will not find a VIN. The number I believe you have is the Engine Unit Number (EUN) or Sequence Number. The PHS documents may show the EUN if anything. Otherwise, casting date codes.
Thanks PontiacJim! Do most guys with GTO's want those PHS documents? Is this the only way to confirm my car is original? Thanks again!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:39 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGB33 View Post
Thanks PontiacJim! Do most guys with GTO's want those PHS documents? Is this the only way to confirm my car is original? Thanks again!
Yes, its a great way to verify your car and its options because of how old our cars are and often the mechanicals have been replaced. Cars which still have original numbers matching drivelines command a higher value IF the potential owner is looking to restore the car. BUT, for many, the resto-mod with regards to the driveline can on the other side of the coin increase value and desirability. Drop in a stroked 400/461CI with aluminum heads or the LS3 Chevy, a 5-speed overdrive or OD automatic, and an aftermarket rear axle and it can bring as much, and possibly more, than an original numbers matching car due in part to the age of the generation who is interested in the car.

Also, should you decide to ever sell, having the PHS documents in hand ensures the buyer of your claims of the car being original. So it is also an investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in