'68 GTO / LeMans VIN Plates? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
'68 GTO / LeMans VIN Plates?

Now that I have the '68 GTO and '68 LeMans sitting side by side in the garage, I have a question about the VIN tag locations...

1968 GTO:

1968 LeMans:

The LeMans (originally an A/C car) has clearly had its original dash replaced with that of a '68 GTO non AC, as the VIN reads 242378R1XXXXX and the data sheet says 23737.

My biggest question is why the VIN's are in two difference places on the dash on these two cars relative to the windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's kind of hard to tell from your pics but if I am looking at them right, the red one is the one that is wrong. The vin tag is isnt located close to the windshield on a 68 and the rivets are shot on from under the dash. Also, the rivets on the red one are just standard rivets, not the rosette rivets that should be there, or at least that's how it appears.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It also looks like the trim tag on the Lemans has been relocated...those holes just under the tag arent there on my car.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewy222 View Post
It's kind of hard to tell from your pics but if I am looking at them right, the red one is the one that is wrong. The vin tag is isnt located close to the windshield on a 68 and the rivets are shot on from under the dash. Also, the rivets on the red one are just standard rivets, not the rosette rivets that should be there, or at least that's how it appears.
That would make sense... the previous owner chopped the original dash in half and installed this "custom" *choke* one instead which starts after the point where the VIN is located on the LeMans. On of the main reasons I bought the LeMans is because I wanted the GTO to have an original dash, so it looks like I will have to replace the entire panel and swap the VIN tags as well, as the dash in the white car will be going into the numbers matching orange car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in