Having problems finding VIN on 65 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having problems finding VIN on 65 GTO

I purchased the car last week with no tittle...

Car came with a body tag but no vin on the door... I lifted the shell yesterday to find the vin number on the frame and only found this. (Pictures attached)

I do have a bill of sale. I'm located in Los angeles, CA

Anyone have experience with dmv and chp? I think that is my only route at this point. Can anyone help?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	54138  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Number I found on frame. I was told this is a part number?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	54146  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:23 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
That frame number is not a VIN number. It is also over-striken with different numbers. Strange. The data plate shows a Palmetto Green body with a black top and black interior, built in Fremont, CA. Shows it is a hardtop. Isn't your car a post coupe? The frame VIN should be on the driver's side frame, on top of the rail by the rear wheel kick-up. You will need to call DMV to apply for a replacement VIN. A missing VIN/replacement VIN seriously devalues the car, I'm afraid. Hope you got a screaming deal on it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

No it's not a post car. Luckily I got a good deal on the car so not too worried. I was really hoping I could find a vin on the frame.

Do you know if the car has to be finished b4 I take through dmv/chp?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Pictures of a 65 frame (drivers side rear) and VIN stamping locations. May vary from plant to plant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	65.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	54154   Click image for larger version

Name:	65a.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	54162   Click image for larger version

Name:	65b.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	54170  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Sounds like you bought a parts car and someone probably attached the VIN plate to another car with a clouded title.
The CA DMV is a PIA to deal with and you would have to get a clear title and pay back fees just to junk it.
If it was me I would buy another car the same year with a clean title and use what you can off of this one and then sell the leftover parts.
I fought with the DMV over a junk truck left on one of my properties and after several all day trips to the DMV they wanted a couple thousand bucks just to get a junk receipt.
I ended up stripping it and digging a hole with a backhoe and burying it.
I have been dealing with them on my dirt bike, I surrendered the title to have my wife's name put on the title and they lost all the paperwork.
Now they want proof that there isn't a lien on it, the company that financed it went BK back in '05 and the only proof I had was the wet signature on the title they lost.
I have zero recourse, they have basically stolen my property and there isn't anything I can do.
There is no arbitrator or anyone that they answer to, all I can do is ride it until I get a ticket and then show the judge the paperwork that shows I paid all the fees and they refuse to issue a title or registration.
I learned a hard lesson, don't EVER surrender the original title to these incompetents just pay the fees for a duplicate and tell them you lost it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Did you have any stamps on the side of frame? Same location of vin tag but on the vertical left side of frame?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 09:37 PM

Open the trunk, somewhere stamped along the gasket rail is another vin number, see if it matches. CHP can and does take the car if a certain number of vins do not match out of the total. You will not get it back.

I would do your homework, all of it, don't take any shortcuts. Put it on a trailer (if not stolen) and take it somewhere else and get title. If you bring it back to California after being titled, they will assess an import fee. Las time I dealt with it, it was $400. That might have changed, but get it out of California. They are nuts down there and its spreading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in