How rare is a numbers matching car? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How rare is a numbers matching car?

My mom bought a 66 gto new in april of 66 and we have had it ever since. Its a number 2 car thats been in the same heated garage since new. I guess what im asking is how rare is it that i still have my moms number matching garage kept 66 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 06:30 AM

I would say more rare than numbers matching is that your family is the original owner...how 'bout some pics???...
Bill

**QSM/RH/A4/17**1 of 52**
Like what you've got?...Thank a Vet!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-RICE View Post
My mom bought a 66 gto new in april of 66 and we have had it ever since. Its a number 2 car thats been in the same heated garage since new. I guess what im asking is how rare is it that i still have my moms number matching garage kept 66 ?

Another point to consider -- if the car is basically a "survivor" that has not had a lot of restoration work done to it, and its in good shape, might also make it more rare. Good luck and be nice to your Mom.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Right, #'s matching is not as rare as a 1 owner car. Both together = WIN!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

My mom went to the pontiac dealer in 66 to buy a station wagon but they had a candle light cream " pale yellow" gto on the showroom floor, after she saw it she told my dad I want that car or nothing , he said what the hell are you going to do with that. She said if i dont get that yellow car i want to go home and i dont want anything; so he bought it. She drove it for 8 years , then one day the battery died and their it sat in our heated garage till 1988, when i said i want to drive it, so we changed the battery and tuned it up. I drove it for 6 months then put it back away till now. The only things ever done were a rebuild of the original motor and repainted it factory candle light cream. Its pretty close to showroom new thanks to a heated garage all these years. My mom passed in 99 so now the car is in my name , so its not a one owner anymore. Evertime i ever think about selling it my friends say im crazy, that i will never be able to get an original car like that again and that the gto is family. Which is true because the gto was in my garage before i was ever here " Im 39 " . Anyway thanks for listining to me ramble. Rob
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
F-Rice, it's still an "original family" car, basically one owner in my book. The fact that it's a '66GTO and the fact it's been in your garage since day one would make it priceless to me, if I were in your shoes. $$$$$ cant' replace sentiment and memories. Consider long and hard before you think of selling it. (and if you DO want to sell it, tell us first!!)
Jeff
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 09:38 PM

my dad bought his new in 66. my parents went on their honeymoon to niagra falls and when i was born in 1970 he picked me up from the hospital in her. his parents loaned him the additional money needed for the $2800 purchase. now after sitting in his garage since 1981, and his passing in 2007, i'm in the middle of a frame off resto which is going pretty nicely. your car sounds awesome. i wouldnt sell such an irreplaceable car, i think you might regret it. i cant wait to drive dads again. if you can put up some pics we would love to see her. good luck.
john.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
very very very rare - if you can keep it, do- you will regret selling it because you can NEVER replace it- how many miles? if she only drove it 4 8years then it is probably low- sounds like a vehicle you should keep in your family
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Where the women are scarce and the sheep are scared. So. Cali
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pics please!

~I'm ya huckleberry~
~516rwhp/500rwtq~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC11NCGTEvI
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

I just put up two pictures under my photos, but when i look it says images pending . I think they should be up soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in