Need Help Deciphering 67 GTO Data Plate - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Help Deciphering 67 GTO Data Plate

I would appreciate any help in deciphering the following 1967 GTO vert data plate on the firewall. The S2 in the second line could be an 82. I would like to know if this was originally a 4 speed car from the factory. The car was apparently built during the 1st week of September 1967 but I am not sure what the number '1' designation means at the end of the first line. Thanks for any help in figuring out this data plate, especially the 4th line W 2LT and 6th line 51-IW and the factory accessories:


09A 1
ST 67-24267 PON S2 BODY
TR 223-B P-2 PAINT
W 2LT
5Y
51-IW (stamped over 'Fisher' in Body by Fisher at the bottom)
Ozzie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 AM
 
ppurfield001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
I would appreciate any help in deciphering the following 1967 GTO vert data plate on the firewall. The S2 in the second line could be an 82. I would like to know if this was originally a 4 speed car from the factory. The car was apparently built during the 1st week of September 1967 but I am not sure what the number '1' designation means at the end of the first line. Thanks for any help in figuring out this data plate, especially the 4th line W 2LT and 6th line 51-IW and the factory accessories:


09A 1
ST 67-24267 PON S2 BODY
TR 223-B P-2 PAINT
W 2LT
5Y
51-IW (stamped over 'Fisher' in Body by Fisher at the bottom)

Try the GTO Alley website if you want to try to decode yourself. However, best bet is to spring for $40 or $50 and get Pontiac Historical Society paperwork that will verify what your car was born with based upon the VIN number. Good luck.

ppurfield001 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Former Moderator
 
68greengoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 3,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sure 05GTO will jump into this one. He's very good at deciphering codes...
68greengoat is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your input. New here and appreciate any help I can get. I intend to pay PHS for the paper study report on my '67 GTO vert 4 speed. Meanwhile, if someone could assist with certain decoding such as '2LT' in the 4th line and '51-IW' in the 6th line at the bottom, I would appreciate it.

Ozzie

Last edited by Ozzie; 08-24-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: add
Ozzie is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator
 
05GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Deliverance, GA
Posts: 5,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Thanks for your input. New here and appreciate any help I can get. I intend to pay PHS for the paper study report on my '67 GTO vert 4 speed. Meanwhile, if someone could assist with certain decoding such as '2LT' in the 4th line and '51-IW' in the 6th line at the bottom, I would appreciate it.

Ozzie
They are option codes;

W = Soft-ray tinted glass (windshield only)
2LT;
2L = 4-spd manual transmission,
2T = Rear-mounted power antenna
5Y = Deluxe front seat belts

'51-IW' May be for custom carpets, check the PHS and see if anything in column 51 is highlighted. It could also be dealer information or destination codes, I'm really not sure,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68greengoat View Post
I'm sure 05GTO will jump into this one. He's very good at deciphering codes...
Thanks for the compliment,

Randy


05GTO is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM
 
67/04gto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
you can also try 1967GTO.COM and see what info you can get from there
67/04gto is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you very much Randy. That pretty much confirms it was a 4 speed from the factory.

Does the '1' at the end of the build date line indicate a Priority code of some sort or more the Shift the car was made during back in early Sept 1967?

And final question: does the S2 (could be an 82 or possibly a 62) after PON in the 2nd line indicate some sort of numerical build sequence?

Ozzie

Last edited by Ozzie; 08-24-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo
Ozzie is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator
 
05GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Deliverance, GA
Posts: 5,132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
Thank you very much Randy. That pretty much confirms it was a 4 speed from the factory.

Does the '1' at the end of the build date line indicate a Priority code of some sort or more the Shift the car was made during back in early Sept 1967?

And final question: does the S2 (could be an 82 or possibly a 62) after PON in the 2nd line indicate some sort of numerical build sequence?

Ozzie
I believe the body number indicates either the 82 GTO or 82 Tempest, Lemans or GTO to pass thru the Pontiac assemble plant for the model year. Your build date being the first week of september 66 would confirm the car may have been the 62nd or 82nd car built. The 1 after the build date may be for the day of the week, the shift or both, There just isn't alot of information on some of the codes on the data plate and the PHS should help you.

Randy


05GTO is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Former Moderator
 
68greengoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 3,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
Thanks for the compliment,
I've learned alot by reading your answers. Thank you!
68greengoat is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Randy
You truly are a master of GTO data plate codes. I seriously doubt though that a number 82 (or even lower, 62) stands for the total number of 1967 GTO's turned out at the Pontiac, Michigan assembly plant as of the 1st week in September 1967. I believe September would be pretty much at the very tail end of the 1967 model production year and they would have been tooling up to make the 1968 models.

I definitely need to contact the PHS and get their report on my car.
Ozzie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
History of the GTO, GOAT Name Origin, and Tiger Theme GTO JUDGE In the News 2 10-13-2008 03:43 PM
I'm ready for a "Johnny Damon" like response... MJ2315 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion 30 05-09-2006 12:47 PM
Pontiac GTO again flexes its muscles 05GTO In the News 5 05-06-2005 10:25 AM
Pontiac GTO Drifter - Car & Driver (Jul 04) m1das In the News 13 09-29-2004 08:11 PM
UK's Top Gear reviews the GTO. 1COOLPC 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion 4 08-10-2004 06:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome