VIN Info Needed - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
VIN Info Needed

OK, for some of you guys who know about VIN tag info: I need to know how to tell (or if you can tell) by the VIN tag or the firewall tag, for a '74 Ventura, if the car was a GTO, a regular 2-door Vent, a 4-door Vent. And, does any of the info on the tags tell if the car was a hatchback or not.

I need the tags for a '74 2-door hatchback Custom Ventura--not a GTO or a 4-door, or a notchback. A friend is wanting to put a '74 Vent race car back on the street. The guy who built it removed the dash, with the VIN tag on it, and replaced it with sheet metal. So, my friend needs a dash, with a VIN that will match the car, so that he can get a title for it, and pass inspection.

The reason I'm asking these questions is so that he won't get the wrong ID tags which will show up as a different model car, if they run a check on the numbers. It's not for resale, or to try and make someone think it's a rare, high dollar car, but just simply to make it pass inspection, should the numbers be checked.

Do any of you guys have, or know of a '74 Vent hatchback parts car, that might provide the correct tags ?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
What you are wanting to do with the data plate and vin tag is illegal in most if not all states, most states will provide you with a state issued serial number that will allow you to register the car.

Randy

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:27 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
What you are wanting to do with the data plate and vin tag is illegal in most if not all states, most states will provide you with a state issued serial number that will allow you to register the car.
X2 on that.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

This has been done thousands of times, and probably in every state. It's probably most commonly used in what they call a "rebody". Many times it is used for financial gain, to sell a Lemans or Tempest as a GTO. Yeah, I can see where that would be illegal.

But what I'm talkin about here is simply saving a plain Jane Ventura race car, by putting it back on the street. To me, that beats the heck out of taking an old Vent parts car to the crusher, VIN tag and all, and melting it down to make a new Chevy with it.

I'm not a crook. I'm just trying to save a Ventura. Anybody understand ?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
As I suggested in my above post, here is the correct way to get your car registered in LA,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LAvin.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	55809  

Randy

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
As I suggested in my above post, here is the correct way to get your car registered in LA,

"...You will need to provide the assigned officer with proof that you own all parts of the vehicle, using bills of sales, receipts, or invoices for all major components..."

You gotta be kidding ! This car will have had 3 different owners since another guy, in another state, built it and bought all the major components. Since there was no title or VIN, there was no Bill of Sale, or receipt from any of the owners.

So that is NOT an option. But hey, thanks for the info anyhow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in