LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Vin plate restoration

I have not gotten to this point yet but I have read a great deal about the legality issues of tampering with VIN removal and so on..... my question is not about that.

My question is about Vin Plate restoration. My GTO sat outside for years and the VIN number is weathered. Has anyone restored their vin plate. What are the best methods. Or is it just a lost cause. My entire firewall is surface rusted from years of sitting. Any ideas how to go about that?

Just thought here:
If ones car was so rusted around the vin plate... is it in the law that you could never restore the car b/c you would have to remove the vin? If you found a Judge that needed the firewall restored, is the Judge now of No value, b/c you couldn't even register it with the state if they believe you removed the vin for any reason? Even for restoration. Even if the hidden Vins match the the same VIN plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
When I did my 66 frame-off I removed the data plate and VIN tag because I didn't want them damaged during blasting. I was able to find the factory correct rivets when I re-attached the plates. When I applied for my tag shortly after purchasing the car I had my local police department verify the vehicle and run the vin number.

I would ask this question of your local police department and have them verify the vehicle prior to removing the tags.

Just my humble opinion,

Randy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in