LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
MaL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to MaL
VIN tag restoration

I stupidly left the VIN tag on the firewall when I had the car blasted.
Of course it's now beat up.

Does anyone offer replacement VIN tags? Or is restoration possible? I thought I saw a post about this, but could not find it when I searched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 07:09 PM

That sucks man, I've never heard about a VIN tag restoration or reproduction, though I am far from an expert.

I found this just googling around TRIMTAGS.COM maybe they can help.

1966 GTO 428ci/4spd - spun bearing
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
MaL

$235 for them to send me a new tag. I may just have to decline that and stick with my eaten up one. dang.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
They don't do VINs anyway, just data tags. Apparently, they will put anything you want on those tags except changing it from a Lemans to a GTO, etc..... They will change the codes for the color, options etc.... Wouldn't that be fun trying to figure it out why the data tag doesn't match PHS..... You do have to provide proof that it really is a GTO or whatever b/4 a tag is made. They wont change the "Style" numbers....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Idea? Remove the tag and stamp it from the backside. You can find metal stamping dyes at like Harbor Freight.
Lay the tag upside down. Mask tape it and lay out all numbers letters backwards then lightly stamp it with the tag on a hardwood.

If there are partial letters and numbers remaining try and sand them flush or use a fender mallet and flatten it.
Any kind of irregularities when completed perhaps spray paint the tag then take steel wool to lighly buff the raised letters and numbers.
If the tag is discolored bad and you want the metal look maybe paint it with an aluminum color.

May work.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
If I were in the market for a Judge, I would much rather it had the original shabby looking VIN tag in place and unmolested than a new tag with new rivets. I would leave it alone and not worry about it. Or, get the replacement tag and keep it with the car, but leave the original in place. If the Judge I was looking at had had the original vin tag removed and repaired, and then re-attached, I would be very suspicious of the car (not knowing the seller). I vote to leave it be.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
with GeeTee, original is always better, once you start playing with tags it raises red flags, especially on something rare like a Judge. If it were a concourse restoration then maybe i would consider it, as they are supposed to look factory fresh
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
Idea? Remove the tag and stamp it from the backside. You can find metal stamping dyes at like Harbor Freight.
Lay the tag upside down. Mask tape it and lay out all numbers letters backwards then lightly stamp it with the tag on a hardwood.
Don't do that...

In order for this to work you would have to find reversed number/letter stamps. These are not available at HF, to my knowledge.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:33 AM

Assume you are talking about the data plate on the firewall. I'm with Geeteeohguy and Instg8ter...just leave it, if it is even remotely legible it's better than explaining a replacement tag. If in fact you are talking the VIN, I thought I had read some posts on this forums and others about the legality of tampering with VIN tags (?).

Rick

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
MaL

Thanks for the feedback.

This all brings up another question-

I'll have the entire car repainted, do I just paint around the tags? Or pop them off for the paint job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Data Plate, Vin Tag and Drive Train Numbers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in