67' 400 Cam Advice - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
 
Nelson Musgrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
67' 400 Cam Advice

I have a 65' Tempest with a 67' YT 400 with 670 heads and TH400. I purchased the car a year ago and have been driving it every day since. As far as i know it is stock and now i am having valve train issues so i feel like it is time to rebuild the top end of the motor. So i will be replacing cam, timing gear, lifters,springs, rockers and push rods. I want to drive it on the street 75% of the time and take it to the strip the other 25%. So I am looking for suggestions on cam kits. I was thinking this one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k51-240-4. Please let me know if this one would be good or should i go smaller on the cam.

1965 Pontiac GTO
400CI
Turbo 400
Nelson Musgrave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 PM
 
RMTZ67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Albuquerque N.M
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Musgrave View Post
I have a 65' Tempest with a 67' YT 400 with 670 heads and TH400. I purchased the car a year ago and have been driving it every day since. As far as i know it is stock and now i am having valve train issues so i feel like it is time to rebuild the top end of the motor. So i will be replacing cam, timing gear, lifters,springs, rockers and push rods. I want to drive it on the street 75% of the time and take it to the strip the other 25%. So I am looking for suggestions on cam kits. I was thinking this one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-k51-240-4. Please let me know if this one would be good or should i go smaller on the cam.
look up the the 068 cam specs. that is a good choice. I just purchased one from a pontiac rebuilder on Ebay. fpaul is the name. I got my cam,double roller timing chain, oil pump,valve springs,lifters, studs, poly locks from him. Get on ebay punch in 068 cam and look for him. wealth of info.
RMTZ67 is online now  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:25 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: North Louisiana
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
That 292 Magnum cam would be real nasty in a street 400. Definitely NOT a good choice.

A Summit 2801 would probably be a decent street/strip choice, and about the cheapest thing out there. It's sorta like a higher lift version of the Pontiac 068 cam.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-2801

Next thing up from that would probably be something like a Lunati 10510312.

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1759&gid=278

Then a Summit 2802 is another step up.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...RoCJdgQAvD_BwE

Here's a Crane & a Howards, in that same neighborhood.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...IaAusEEALw_wcB

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-410141-12

Bigger cams will give you more top end power, but a rougher idle, and less low end torque & vac.

https://www.crower.com/camshafts/pon...m-284-hdp.html

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...w/make/pontiac

Last edited by bigD; 06-27-2018 at 06:42 AM.
bigD is online now  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
 
Nelson Musgrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
ok thank you for the information!

1965 Pontiac GTO
400CI
Turbo 400
Nelson Musgrave is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 06:17 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Not offering advice, but instead, sharing an experience. I recently installed a Lunati Voodoo 262/268 in my '71 GTO with a stock 400 engine. This cam serves my purpose, but I really don't have anything to compare it to. The motor runs well and has adequate power, but I do think it is a little sluggish. Maybe not the cams fault. Good idle and response. About 17-18 inches of vacuum. This cam came highly recommended by a few who I admire and respect their advice. I have no regrets. The cam I removed was also a Lunati. High performance. Thought it was choking the engine. Best wishes with your selection.
Nicholas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
67 Pontiac 400 w/670 heads. Need Advice Nelson Musgrave 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion 4 08-10-2017 10:07 AM
Cam and head install help and advice mr.gto Engine Discussions 4 04-18-2010 11:06 PM
Advice - How to wake up my '72 400 2bbl jpdog357 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring 5 03-30-2007 08:01 AM
comparison the "cant break 8s" b4 advice and after the advice DK2F Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion 0 02-11-2006 03:09 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome