67 GTO HO trans cooler lines - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
67 GTO HO trans cooler lines

Guys..does anyone have a 66 or 67 car with HO Ram air manifolds and a TH350 or TH400 Trans.....

if so do you have the trans cooler lines that go with the HO...and how are they routed....

the original trans cooler lines for non HO exhaust run really tight to the exhaust....they,re are special HO lines but I can find no diagram of the routing,....lot's of posts that end with nothing..

I called inline tube they were not sure of the routing, a diagram may exist in the 67 GTO catalog, a photo would be much better. there is a set of lines for HO exhaust and they have a different sharp bend, but not sure how they sit or are routed

so if you have that set of lines a photo of the routing would be of great help. also these lines are both attached on the bottom of radiator, a common diagram you find is with both lines on passenger side of radiator...for later cars I belive..

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I went with stainless lines but I couldn't get them to seal @ the fittings.
Total waste of money, I had to order regular steel lines from Inline.
I have HO manifolds, you have to pull the motor mount bolt on the passenger side and lift the engine to get the lines in easily and to get to the stock bracket on the cross member.
What I did is I fabricated a piece of flat stock to mount the bracket to so I could bolt it to the stock hole and move it up away from the manifold.
They go over the top of the sway bar and steering linkage, they are pre bent so pretty much self explanatory once you get them in position.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks GR;...I have the engine and trans out now so I can lay it in ez,...seems like a good idea with the flat stock as where the clamp is is real close to the HO manifold,...may try that. Go up an inch or so, just make sure the control arm won't crush it....and get it a bit away from the heat.....

The original lines for the super turbine 2 speed were in the same clamp spot I suppose,...but maybe on the HO cars they moved it a bit...

Good idea and thanks....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

GR..you don't have any old photos of that bracket you fabricated on the car for the lines do you?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

GR....looking at these HO cooler lines, they are different than the others,...so do they go above the sway bar and the linkage?...

Looks that way, but then the hard square turn would ride in the air over the Frame...which may be correct, not sure...

The old lines were different,.

I had them close on top of the frame with the clamp, but they were real close to exhaust manifold....so do yours lay tight on top of frame with same clamp?...that you added flat stock to?

Or is that clamped on front or back of frame? Sorry for all the questions but these are hard to find just to look at...

Thanks!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
On top of the frame using the same clamp just up about 1 1/2" by making an extension with the flat stock.
Once you get the lines in place and all the fittings started you can tweak the lines to move them away from the manifold.
I used the regular steel lines, not the ones for the HO set up so YMMV.
I also laid the lines in before installing the engine and trans but they were stainless, wouldn't seal so I had to remove the long MM bolt, jack the engine up and start from square one worming in the regular steel lines.
I used a die grinder to cut the new stainless lines to remove them.
I had also used the factory mounting position and had to make the bracket and install it with the engine in place to get the lines away from the manifold.
It was quite the pickle dance and I had to buy a fitting crow's foot to tighten the fitting on the trans.
Sorry no pictures but the whole job was a major PIA.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Got it that is a big help, I have a set of lines new steel from inline tube that has a different bend,....I also have the regular lines and had those on with the clamp, but as you say so close to the manifold....

You are spot on the SS lines I put on SS brake lines and fought getting all those to seal.....that cured me, so I order steel lines now.....

I will get it put them in loosely before I set the block and trans in......Thanks GR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in