68 GTO - hard to start after sitting for a while - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
68 GTO - hard to start after sitting for a while

We have a 68 GTO that we basically keep garaged. When we start it up, it generally has been sitting for several weeks since the last time we started it. It turns over great because we have a tender on the battery, but to get it to start I need to use starter fluid. If it has started within the last day or so, it will kick in without the fluid. I'm guessing there isn't any fuel left in the carb when it doesn't kick in, and maybe there's no fuel present in the fuel line from the tank if somehow it has drained back into the tank after it sits for a while. Once, it starts though, it runs great, and then it will restart fine? I replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago, but that didn't seem to change anything. Does anyone know what I should look for to fix this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Do you prime it before cranking ? Have you opened up the carb after it sits for a few weeks and see if the bowls are empty ? If they are empty, then most likely the gas is boiling after you shut the car down (from a few weeks ago). The long cranking is required to bring fuel into the carb and then the engine....

I had a slightly similar yet different situation. My gas boiling over causes the car to be too rich. I hold the gas pedal down ~ 1/3 of the way while cranking and she fires right up.

Good luck

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwatson1647 View Post
We have a 68 GTO that we basically keep garaged. When we start it up, it generally has been sitting for several weeks since the last time we started it. It turns over great because we have a tender on the battery, but to get it to start I need to use starter fluid. If it has started within the last day or so, it will kick in without the fluid. I'm guessing there isn't any fuel left in the carb when it doesn't kick in, and maybe there's no fuel present in the fuel line from the tank if somehow it has drained back into the tank after it sits for a while. Once, it starts though, it runs great, and then it will restart fine? I replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago, but that didn't seem to change anything. Does anyone know what I should look for to fix this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

As long as you don't have any gasoline smell after you shut it down and it sits awhile, it is the gas evaporating - which is normal with todays blend.

The Q-jets did have a problem on some where the gas would seep/leak from the plugs at the base of the center section (has to be pulled apart to be seen). The fix is to put some gas resistant epoxy on them to seal them up. This is why I mention it.

My '73 Fury won't just fire up when it sits for a couple days. Gas evaporates. Takes a couple of cranking rounds with the starter and pumping the gas to get it fired up. Once running and I stop anywhere, it'll fire right off on first crank. Just the way it is today.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response cij911. I do prime it before cranking it over. Sometimes, if we have started it say within a week we'll try starting it without the fluid. Sometimes it will start and sometimes not, but if its been sitting for more than a week, I'll need to put in starting fluid. I have not looked into the carb, but thanks so much for the suggestion, Mike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks PontiacJim. Do you have a recommendation for the gas resistant epoxy you mentioned? I might try that. Thanks for the suggestion! Mike.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:40 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
99% of the time it's evaporation of the fuel, not leaking well plugs. My '67 does this....but I don't prime it. I crank it for a short burst, let it sit a minute, do it again, and it starts. The advantage is it starts WITH oil pressure and oil on the bearings. An engine that sits and is primed to fire right up, fires up dry. The disadvantage to my method is increased wear on the starter and battery. No free lunch here, but you are experiencing a normal condition with today's fuel. You can install a cheap, low pressure pusher electric fuel pump at the tank and use it to 'prime' your system.....it'll fire right up then, and you can leave your mechanical pump right where it is. I've done this on several cars. You only use the electric pump for start up after long rests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in