User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
68 Running Rich?

So, I'm not a mechanic but I like to fix stuff and figure stuff out. I'm in a little over my head here, but I'd like to figure this out and learn along the way.

Here's the deal, I purchased a 68 gto a week ago. Car was restored looks pretty, and sounds great. Car looks like a rocket ship, but on my test drive felt like a slug. The good thing was the way it drove got me a good deal on the car. On Friday I did a basic tune up. Replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. All the plugs where all equally fouled. They where all actually a little wet. After the tune up the car drove like it looks. Spin the tires at will. After a short drive the car started lacking the ability to burn rubber, and it seems like it's progressively getting back to where it was. Not quite as bad, but getting there. I'm hopeful that this is a carb adjustment issue, and assuming the plugs are fouled again. The car is set up with two four barrel eddelbrock carbs. I was told they are 500 cfm, but have not had a chance to confirm this (only had it a week and have too many other irons on the fire). The car was supposedly bored "30 over" too. The timing read at 8, but I did not check it again after the tune up. Only other thing I've done mechanically was clean the carbs with gumout and lubed the linkages. I did notice yesterday that one of the electrical connections to the choke was disconnected. I'm guessing that this was done in an attempt to lean out the mixture.

So, I ordered a couple vacuum gauges and will be ready to have at it again when I get a moment. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tooth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7774.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	92033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7817.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	92041  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 05:58 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
First, you did not say if they were hooked up together or if you have progressive linkage. If hooked together, that's the beginning of your problem - way too much fuel for a street car. If you do not have progressive linkage, get it. The second carb should snap open when the first carb is typically about 3/4 open.

The secondary carb does not need a choke, but it should be wide open, nothing closed or set at an angle. This will only cause the carb to run rich.

Next, if both carbs are identical, you are running the idle circuits on both carbs - too rich. The factory dual 4 set-up used a secondary carb with no idle screws. You only adjust the carb you run off of.

You should have vacuum secondaries on each carb, so they should open as needed and provide a smooth transition without bog or stumble. Your jetting may need to be changed as they are most likely set-up to be run as a single use and not for dual 4's.

Other suggestions would be an an MSD unit and hot coil. The MSD does what it is designed to do - multispark at lower RPM's which will help fire the plugs better. You might also try a step or two hotter plug for better burning.

Points or electronic? Either way, I like to run the spark plug gap at the factory .035, but it is recommended with electronic distributors to run .040" or more. I just feel it takes too much energy to jump the wider gap, especially if you are already running rich. I also run an 8mm wire but I went with an 8.8mm on my present build - I like the Taylor brand.

I would also play around with the timing. Don't know what cam you have or compression, but 8 degrees at the crank may actually not be enough. It may be retarded to help with pre-ignition, but with all the excess gas right now, I don't think that should be a problem. I might bump it up to 9 degrees and upwards into the 12 degree range, moving a few degrees at a time and taking out on the road for a wide open blast to see how it goes and listen for detonation (rattling). This is where you want to check your distributor advance curve and set it up for the best performance. Do a forum search as this has been covered in depth, and very well.

I once ran a 409CI that I built up not knowing what I know now. Had a big solid cam that shook the windows. I installed a pair of 460 Ford 750 CFM AFB carbs after doing a rebuild. I screwed in the idle screws on the secondary carb. Even with progressive linkage, the plugs ran rich and would foul. I installed the MSD and hot coil- it ran smoother, but still had fouling plugs. Engine had the factory Mallory dual point with no vacuum advance set-up to be all in a 2,500 RPM's. So I bought a set of those aircraft style 5/6 electrodes that JC Whitney used to sell. Never fouled again like the regular plugs. Car ran like a raped ape and because it was really over carb'd, would keep on pulling past 6,500 RPM's and never quit pulling. Gas mileage was 8-10 MPG's.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Wow, that was allot to digest, but I love it.

Thank you
Tooth

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Looks like a progressive. This is my set up. I know it's a crappy picture, but I'm at work. Not sure if this and the picture of the spark plug add to the story at all. I just want to go home and have at it. Lots to learn along the way.

Thanks again
Tooth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7812.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	762.3 KB
ID:	92113  

Last edited by tooth; 06-13-2017 at 07:49 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth View Post
Looks like a progressive. This is my set up. I know it's a crappy picture, but I'm at work. Not sure if this and the picture of the spark plug add to the story at all. I just want to go home and have at it. Lots to learn along the way.

Thanks again
Tooth
Certainly looks like the Edelbrock progressive linkage as well as Edelbrock's fuel line to the carbs. If you don't have the tuning manual for these carbs, here is the link. You can download it, print it out, whatever you need. It'll give you lots of info on tuning for the correct mixture.

Best of luck!!

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...ers-manual.pdf
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968gto421 View Post
Certainly looks like the Edelbrock progressive linkage as well as Edelbrock's fuel line to the carbs. If you don't have the tuning manual for these carbs, here is the link. You can download it, print it out, whatever you need. It'll give you lots of info on tuning for the correct mixture.

Best of luck!!

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...ers-manual.pdf
Thanks for the link.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 06:19 PM

Garage
The manual has a lot of good info. Pay attention to page 3 on the "Step-Up"rods and springs. Manifold vacuum plays the big role with these. Don't know what cam you are using, so you want to get an idea of the vacuum the engine has at idle. You can also get different diameter rods.

You can also change out your jets as well. It might be worth while to purchase an Edelbrock Calibration Kit for your carb. It has an assortment of step rods, springs & jets. https://www.summitracing.com/search/...libration-kits

What I have always heard is that once you get one carb set up, the second carb will be the same. So I would disconnect the secondary carb and try dialing in your main carb and get it set up so the plugs aren't wet with gas. This kind of thing is trial and error until you get it dialed in.

Here is a good write up which you want to read that covers what I have said. Mind you, this is for a Chevy engine, but the same thoughts still hold true. Ask Away! with Jeff Smith: Tuning Tips for Edelbrock 2x4 Carb Setup on a Small-Block Chevy - OnAllCylinders
1968gto421 likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Poked around at the car a little before work this morning. The carb in the front seems to be the primary, and the one in the back the secondary. The electric choke, though disconnected is on the secondary. The adj screws on the secondary are open all the way. I adjusted the primary screws by ear, just because I needed to mess with things and tried to keep it on the lean side. The out of the hole power is still not there like it was after I changed the plugs wires cap and rotor, but the car seemed much happier at cruising speed on the way to work. I think my next step is going to see where the vacuum is at on both to have a baseline, then start with the timing changes. Feel like I'm all over the map and have allot to learn.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so I've got the car a little closer to being on the right track. I played with the timing first. It was at 8, and after some trial and error left it at a hair under 12. I dialed the idle back from 740's to 620's, but it stalled out in drive at that idle speed. I bumped it back up to 700 for now.

The car does indeed have the edlebrock progressive linkage, but the whole thing is set up wrong. The choke though disconnected is attached to the secondary, there was no spring to the front throttle because it was not set up as progressive yet the carbs where set up so. What I meant by that was that the primary carb was set with the idle screws, but the secondary was set wide open. I changed it so that the linkage is now progressive (need to dial this in better), but left the secondary idle screws as is. I think my next step will be to dial both carbs in with a little better with a vacuum gauge, play with the timing again and try to get the car to idle a little lower.

So, am I on the right track? The car is definitely running much better, but still lacks the out of the hole power I had after doing the initial basic tune up. I did take the plugs out and clean them all again, but it didn't seem to do much. I think one of the many projects I need to do is put in a better ignition system. I'm guessing that will certainly help, but I've got allot to learn to really get this thing right.

Thanks in advance.
Tooth
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 PM

Garage
First, idle speed is set in Drive, not park or neutral. Set it so when you pull it into Drive, it will run about 650-700 RPM's as your starting point. Don't necessarily use the factory idle speeds. If you read through them, you will note that different years have different idle speeds with/without the electric idle solenoid stop. You will also notice that the manual/high HP engines have higher idle speeds. The different idle speeds take into account the cam grind. The more aggressive it was, the higher the idle speed needed.

As you learned, when you drop it into drive it stalled. So idle it up (650-700RPM in Drive,) to where the car runs smooth when you drop it into gear and you don't have to use a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to keep the car from rolling forward. Light pressure should be OK, but you don't want to have to use heavy brake pressure to overcome the higher idle setting. I suspect you don't have a higher after market 2,500 stall converter (more slippage) which allows for a higher idle setting without the car wanting to move forward in gear. So play around with 650-750RPM's in the Drive range with lower RPM's being best as long as the engine runs smooth and it does not stall out.

Timing sounds better at 12 degrees. You can work on the advance curve later. The advance curve can may a big difference in the seat of the pants acceleration.

Your carbs should be the same, right? So why not simply swap them and make the carb with the choke your primary? Then you want to screw in the idle mixture screws in all the way on the secondary carb. Again, turn them in easily until they stop, no need to crank them down real tight as you will damage the carb. Then make sure the idle screw on the side of the carb is backed off so the primary throttle plates are closed. You don't want them open. Typically as you turn your idle up, the throttle plates open to let more air/fuel in which increases your engines idle speed. You don't want any extra air/fuel going through the secondary carb until you pop it wide open via the progressive linkage.

As suggested earlier, you want to get the engine running good on one carb by getting the primary carb adjusted first. So disconnect the secondary carb for now and make sure it is "shut down." - it is only adding to the problem. Run the car on just one carb. Get the engine running right on the one carb, then hook up the secondary carb and dial it in. You may be like a cat chasing its tail trying to figure out all the combinations of adjustments with one affecting the other and even each being thrown off when adjusting one carb or the other.

Better/hotter spark can help. Do you have points or an electronic distributor? Points are fine if you do. I would get a hotter coil for starters if you don't already have one.

My experience when the plugs run rich is that the engine will run a little sluggish because it "loads up" with carbon (the black sooty stuff you see on the plugs) - at least that's what we used to say. You have to run it hard to blow/burn this off to get the engine to run crisper. My 409 would get sluggish when I took it easy on it trying to keep my foot out of the gas in an attempt to get better gas mileage. I would start to ring it out and run it hard to clear out the carbon and sure enough it would wake the performance back up and run great again. So it was always better to flog it than to take it easy on the engine. So you may be experiencing this with the carb running rich even though you cleaned the plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in