69 GTO with 455 and AC needs an idle stop solenoid - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
69 GTO with 455 and AC needs an idle stop solenoid

Question out to anyone who has solved this problem. I have a 455 with the correct Qjet 7041262 installed. I have factory AC and the engine is modified with hydraulic roller cam and aluminum heads/headers so it has a little less vacuum at idle than stock. When I turn on the AC the idle struggles. In order to compensate I have optimized timing and vacuum at idle but still having to artificially raise the idle with the idle screw thus taking the carburetor off the idle circuit. When the AC is off, the idle is too high. My plan is now to reduce the idle where it should be and install an idle stop solenoid to engage the throttle lever pad when the AC is turned on. easy right? I have been trying to source an idle stop solenoid and bracket but I see that nothing exact fit exists anymore, even though the throttle lever has a pad on it for a solenoid to strike. Question is has anyone already engineered a solution out there? and if they have I would duplicate their efforts with thanks.

I attached a picture of the crap solenoid I bought that didn't line up right nor did it have any strength at all to hold the throttle position. Ames has since stopped selling these becouse they are no good so I am open to any and all suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170821_173534.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	96466  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:02 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Idle stop solenoids were factory installed on '69-71 factory manual transmission equipped Pontiac Q-jets. Also, were factory installed on both auto & manual trans equipped '72 Pontiac 4bbl engines. Have yet to have problems with an original '71 or 72 solenoid, do know there was a change in the style of brackets used. I'd try a original solenoid.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:09 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Ah, this is were fabrication comes into play. Why not slot the bolt holes to see if you can then get the position you want and then cinch it down?

Is this what you have? 1968 - 1972 AC Fast Idle Solenoid Switch, DR1114423 and 1997405 Looks to me you could slot the bracket on the solenoid itself and then the attaching bracket that goes on the engine.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
The reproduction idle stop solenoid was brought to market about 10 years ago by a concern that was producing them for muscle era Mopar v8's (to mount off an AFB carb).

On Pontiac V8's, the stamped steel mtg bracket mounted off the front drivers side Q-jet mounting bolt. The gauge of steel along with a stifferening rib allowed the rigid bracket & original solenoid to properly line up & perform properly for 100's of thousands of miles. know nothing about the reliability of the windings in the repro solenoids, am still using original idle stop solenoids.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

69 GTO with 455 and AC needs an idle stop solenoid

Yes, the repro solenoid you see pictured is junk, it has no ability to hold position. Ames has stopped selling and most sites, like the one Jim shared indicate they are no longer available. I got one of the last and it didn't work. Interesting that an original solenoid will fit that bracket. I thank you both for the knowledge shared. Efforts in finding an original solenoid and bracket have been futile so far. Thanks for the specific history info, that helps me. If anyone knows where I can get an original fitment device and even a bracket I would be in your debt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Hi

I should have a spare working one

I will look this afternoon........

Scott
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Scott, please call or text me your number if you can spare it. 780-446-2262 Very much appreciated, just let me know what you want for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in