Another guy with a cam question - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another guy with a cam question

I've been putting off asking about my cam choice, so here it goes. I haven't heard anyone ask about the Lunati Bracket Master II. The engine is the original YS 400, .030 over, stock crank .010/.010 under, stock rods reworked, forged flat top pistons with valve reliefs. The heads are also original 62 castings, ported/polished/gasket matched, hardened valve seats, comp cams 1.52 roller tip rockers. Intake is an Edelbrock Performer RPM, ported/gasket matched. Carb is Edelbrock 750. I have a switch-pitch stall in the original Th400, 1800-3000 RPM. The original rear has an Auburn posi carrier with 3.90 gears. The cam has adv. duration of 292*/292*, .490/.490 lift, LSA 110*. the RPM range matches the intake at 1800-6000, and the 3000 stall will put the engine right in the middle when it flashes. DA GOAT will see 95% street, 5% strip, and I know I will have to run 100+ octane gas with the compression around 11:1. Any thoughts?

1969 GTO
NUMBERS MATCHING
PAWN SHOP FIND
1947 MGTC
GRANDFATHER STARTED
RESTORATION IN 1980...

"You can have it all, my emipre of dirt. I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
NIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM

My thoughts...... that gasoline sounds damn expensive........ Me = 67 tempest with low compression heads and Comp-Cams latest & greatest camshaft for a 400, I will never race it but it should be a fun driver, your combo sounds good, It is all a matter of what you are after....... I'm sure some of the pros will chime in and give you some pointers
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I would talk to the tech dept. at Comp Cams....run your engine specs, and trive line set up past them...ask for a recommendation. Pontiacs LOVE to have the 'right' cam. Also IMHO...3.90 rears are a bit steep for 955 street use. You might want to consider 3.55 rears BEFORE buying the cam....just sayin', ERIC

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

This is my current setup, I bought the cam and the switch-pitch setup three or four years ago when started the restoration and took the engine apart to freshen it up and repaint it. The rest has been done a little at a time in the 15 years I have owned the car. My plan is to fire up the engine and break the cam in, in about a month or so. I already have prepared for no vacuum at idle by converting my hideaway headlight to electric and adding hydroboost.

1969 GTO
NUMBERS MATCHING
PAWN SHOP FIND
1947 MGTC
GRANDFATHER STARTED
RESTORATION IN 1980...

"You can have it all, my emipre of dirt. I will let you down, I will make you hurt"
NIN
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Cool....I am running a hydroboost also, bought my set -up from TALLON HYDRAULICS....when are you gonna fire it up?? Eric

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroboost 002.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	14458   Click image for larger version

Name:	HYDROBOOST 005.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	14459  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

At the moment I am plumbing my remote oil filter and oil cooler. When I used to work in fleet maintenance, we had some big trucks that had oil coolers on them. Those things remove alot of heat from the engine. I am also making a framework to mount electric cooling fans and shroud from a furd windstar to my radiator. They are the same size as the stock GTO rad. After that is done, I need to custom fit the plug wires, rebuild the carb, run the fuel line from the regulator to the carb and a little wiring and some gaskets. I should have it runnin in a few weeks to break in the cam.
I went to Youtube and checked out some vids of cars with the same cam I have, although they were chebbies and furds they did sound GOOD!!

1969 GTO
NUMBERS MATCHING
PAWN SHOP FIND
1947 MGTC
GRANDFATHER STARTED
RESTORATION IN 1980...

NIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in