User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Back to install new motor

Been a while since i have been around, been dealing with the myriad of problems caused by a 30' fall 3 years ago. "luckily" i am still on my feet and up until last spring me and the better half had been enjoying the Tempest car shows, cruises, long country drives to see the sunset.

Fast forward to last spring, i had a re-hab appt. on a beautiful early spring day so i came home and grabbed the Tempest thinking i could hit Autozone and grab a set of plugs and some rotella for a tune up, had no worries as i keep her in insulated barn over winter and keep battery tender on with a start and warm up every few weeks. Stopped and filled her up with a top off of 5 gallons of torco race gas. As im turning right at a 25 roll just getting to my appointment and goose it gently it backfires and I see "steam" coming out the front and the engine dies. I wheel it into the edge of the gas station and get out to see the paint on my hood scoop boiling. i open the hood and flames singe my eyebrows, carbs on fire, luckily i had a damp towel in the backseat which i quickly grabbed and covered the carb after getting the melted air cleaner off. Onsite evaluation, Paint hood inside and out with bodywork, stip and paint intake, new carb(s), new 8mm wires, new air cleaner and filament, clean complete engine compartment and firewall. Sometimes you gotta laugh or you'll cry!!

Slow forward, car in shop for two months, worked out a deal to get the hood top and deck sprayed so it wold blend good , have car towed back and install new manifold and a dual quad manifold with two Quickfuel 600 carbs, squirt of gas and a few pumps and fires right up. Sitting in the drivers seat sounded good for a fresh start without any tuning, wife was out front watching for leaks. I get out as it reaches an idle and walk around to the sound of a sharp rapping on the passenger front of the lower end.....SHUT HER DOWN!!!

Pull the motor and up to the speed shop it goes, two shot bearings, timing gear shot ( while it was out had it all gone through with line bore, crank balance and polish, cyl. hone, rings, already had full roller set-up, and forged internals).

Motor is ready, I am thinking i am going to have it broken in on a motor dyno, is 500.00 fair? Thinking its worth it so i only have to put the motor back in once. as i am a little limited on the creeper these days although it came out suprisingly easy with a helper and its bagged and tagged for re-install and still blocked in place.

Well just wanted to relate my trials and tribulations, this place was an integral part in me building the car, and i am sure i will need your infinite wisdom in getting it back up and running as the memory is not what it used to be.

Hey BearGFR see you are doing yours too, remember we built at the same time, what happened with yours??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	106105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	106113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	106121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	106129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	106137  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow! So sorry to hear this, I have always loved your ride and the way you did it. Hopefully this will be the fix for a long time, and many miles of Pontiac fun.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Oh man, hate to hear this, Luckily you and no one else got hurt. Hope the problem causing fire is resolved and engine will run fine for years. To me, $500 sounds about average for an engine dyno run (not chassis dyno, that should be cheaper). Anyway, best of luck!!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep this post updated and get some vids when i get the dual quad motor up and running. I also will be replacing the headers with the RA reproduction exhaust manifolds and "X" pipe while im down there. Unfortunately the heat is down in my shop and our Michigan weather is still a little chilly for my weary bones to be crawling on the concrete, so i am still a few weeks out on installation. if i get the dyno done ill post pics and vid if i can be there for it.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

OK, finally done packing up carbs and RA exhaust to take up to the machine shop. Should be going on the Dyno for run and tune next week, cannot wait to get it back in the car with the MotorCity weather starting to warm up.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
You're back!!!!!!!!! Glad to see you!! Man, so sorry about the fire and subsequent problem --- that generates significant vacuum. I'm in the middle of putting mine back together too, taking my sweet time about it and also addressing some leftover issues from MY engine fire a few years back.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks Bear, funny our builds and re-builds have ran parallel. Dropped the remaining parts up at the speed shop today. hopefully they will get to run it on Dyno this week. I AM DYING TO GET MY BABY BACK ON THE ROAD!!! been over a year now since i have driven it, always give a thumbs up when i see a nice classic on the road but anymore its hard not to cuss because mine is stuck in a barn under a cover . will update as soon as i get the run sheet a.nd hopefully video of the run-in

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Well as usual everything takes 4 times as long as you think it will. That said the new motor is on the Dyno with a few tuning pulls under its belt. I am going up there first thing in AM to watch the computer pulls.

455, .040 over,Forged H rods and crank, 6X heads ported for pump gas, new valves , roller custom grind cam and lifters, RA4 reproduction 2.25 exhaust manifolds, Offy dual quad intake with twin 600 Demon carbs.

any guesses on HP/TQ?

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about the incident. Makes me want to get that halogen fire extinguisher in my car sooner rather than later.

At least you are going to get a new motor out of it! Good luck!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:33 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by instg8ter View Post
well as usual everything takes 4 times as long as you think it will. That said the new motor is on the dyno with a few tuning pulls under its belt. I am going up there first thing in am to watch the computer pulls.

455, .040 over,forged h rods and crank, 6x heads ported for pump gas, new valves , roller custom grind cam and lifters, ra4 reproduction 2.25 exhaust manifolds, offy dual quad intake with twin 600 demon carbs.

Any guesses on hp/tq?

472hp & 537tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in