User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
balancer-crank bolt torque--chasing the big one

Hi All,
2 questions. i am swapping my factory style balancer from my 455 to my 400. i think it will be fine on the different sized motor, if not please let me know.
question 2: my torque wrench only goes to 100 ft lbs. the spec for the balancer bolt is 160 ft lbs. Here's my procedure: i cleaned the male and female threads. i lubricated the threads and under the bolt head with 30 wt and made sure i used the proper thick washer. i used my torque wrench to tighten the bolt to 100 ft lbs in steps. using a breaker bar, i then tightened the bolt slightly less than an additional 1/8 turn, in 3 steps. any thoughts at my final torque? thanks.
oh and Happy Easter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:48 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john23 View Post
Hi All,
2 questions. i am swapping my factory style balancer from my 455 to my 400. i think it will be fine on the different sized motor, if not please let me know.
question 2: my torque wrench only goes to 100 ft lbs. the spec for the balancer bolt is 160 ft lbs. Here's my procedure: i cleaned the male and female threads. i lubricated the threads and under the bolt head with 30 wt and made sure i used the proper thick washer. i used my torque wrench to tighten the bolt to 100 ft lbs in steps. using a breaker bar, i then tightened the bolt slightly less than an additional 1/8 turn, in 3 steps. any thoughts at my final torque? thanks.
oh and Happy Easter!

Question 1 - Should be OK on the balancer swap. They are neutral balanced.

Question 2 - Torquing the bolt. You are not torquing the main cap bolt on a Caterpillar diesel. You can try anything you want, but keep in mind that it could loosen and what typically happens is the collar that goes over the crank can crack and worse case scenario is it breaks off and goes into the timing chain and the rest is history. And I suppose if you over torqued and damaged the threads, the balancer could come loose. Is the price of another torque wrench that will go to 160 ft lbs worth the loss of your engine?

You might check with your local auto parts store that loans out tools or bring it to a shop and let them do the final torque.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Yeah, recently "borrowed" one from my local O'reilly store, cause my torque wrench only goes to 150 lbs.

You have to buy it. It's around $100. Then, when you take it back, your money is refunded.

I've seen quite a few cracked balancers, usually in the keyway. I assume most cracked because of under torqued bolt. Can't say for sure. Never had one crack that I torqued to 160 lbs.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
thanks D, good info
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Buy or borrow the right torque wrench. Not worth breaking a crank over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in