User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
EdR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Basic Timing Gear Alignment Question

I'm putting a new cam and timing gears/chain in my 69 400. I'm pretty sure I'm putting the new ones in the same way the old ones came out, but its not looking right. I thought the dot on the top gear should be at 12:00 with the 0 degree notch on the lower gear on the key also at 12:00, with #1 Piston at TDC on the compression stroke. And the distributer pointing at #1 ignition wire. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
When you think about it a little, remember that the crank turns exactly 2 revolutions for every 1 revolution of the cam, so in actuality installing the timing set either way is correct. Either with both marks at 12 o'clock, or with them pointed directly at each other (crank at 12 o'clock, cam at 6 o'clock). Regardless, use a straight edge/ruler that's long enough to span both the cam and the crank centerlines so that you can be sure you've got them aligned correctly. Later on, when re-installing the distributor, is when things get more specific. Turn the engine over until #1 cylinder (driver's side front) is at TDC compression stroke (both intake and exhaust valves are closed), then install the distributor so that the rotor is pointed to #1 plug wire terminal. The factory oriented things so that #1 on the cap was pointing "almost" directly at the firewall (actually sort of at the steering wheel) and the hose connection on the vacuum advance canister pointed towards the drivers side fender. If you don't care about details like that, then just plop the distributor in "however it goes", then wire the cap so that #1 wire is aligned with the rotor tip (wherever it happens to be) and connect the rest in firing order sequence, working counter-clockwise from there. Just make sure that the distributor is all the way "down" and fully engaged with the oil pump drive shaft.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
EdR

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you very much Bear. I've been searching for hours for what you just described in one paragraph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in