Cam identity - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cam identity

I've most of my block stripped now and slid the cam out I was hoping for a better ID stamped on it. # 97002 MP

I found a very nice looking cam with nice lifters and double roller, look very newish. There are flat tappet.

1968 GTO Clone far from clean. Future LSX swap
Pace This! 30th TA #425, 517rhp/497tq, 408 LS3, 6spd, Front page featured car High Perf Pont 2011
01 WS6 Vert 6spd Susp, Borla & Z06 brakes|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 12:04 PM

I had a replacement cam in my 350 that I had no info on. I got some #'s on the rear face of it and did a google search. Turned out to be a Sealed Power cam. I was able to get the specs off their website. If you got that # from the front or rear face, try looking that # on google or even try different cam makers.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GTOLSX View Post
I've most of my block stripped now and slid the cam out I was hoping for a better ID stamped on it. # 97002 MP

I found a very nice looking cam with nice lifters and double roller, look very newish. There are flat tappet.
Do NOT USE A USED cam. My 2cents worth, Unless you took it out and have the lifters in the right place, other wise cam and lifter's will be no good. The lifters needs to go back onto same lobe as it was before removing, Will cause the cam and lifter's to wear faster or lobe and lifter's to chip But you can use new lifter's with the old cam. Never reuse a old timing chain either. Get a new one from Melling they have cams & lifters and for a great price< Butler performance use's them. E-bay has the cam lifter set from melling for $159.00 from maddoggperformance if I remember correctly, and a cloyes true roller timeing chain with a 3 way adjustable key for 65.00. Comp cam has a DBl roller chain for around the same price so $224.00 well spent in a motor that is not cheap to rebuild Insurance other wise. My 2 cents And its new..
, My brother has the stage II 278/284 H RV cam awesome low end torque. and has a nice choppy Idle you can use it with stock converter and regular every day gears. his is in a 73 firebird. And go with a Hydraulic cam and lifters, My opinion less maintenance Your not always adjusting the valve lash as with a solid, My Opinion Solid cam's are drag race only to me. every one has there opinion, My friend with a 1965 tri-power 389 he runs a solid cam and says he gets more torque out of it then a Hyd, cam. So each his own.
REMEMBER . . . the first 10 minutes are the most important in a new camshaft's life. Tests have shown that if there is no spalling or metal pick up during the first 10 minutes to one hour of operation, the cam will last a normal life. After you have completed the "break-in," immediately change oil and filter. Regularly maintain your engine, its oil and filter, and valve lash adjustment. Your reward will be an engine that delivers maximum horsepower and performance. hope this helps I think MP is a melling cam any ways But cant find the number. You can call NAPA and have them cross reference the part number .....Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in