Is this the correct seal for the intake? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Is this the correct seal for the intake?

Guys,

I’m getting ready to bolt on my intake manifold and I noticed that the only seal that would work for the manifold-water pump junction seems a bit small for the machined recess on the intake. I would have thought that it would have been made to fill all the space available but it’s not the case. This seems to be the only seal in my gasket kit that could work here but wanted to make sure I wasn’t making a mistake. Thanks for your help.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8E8AB93C-244E-4738-B6DD-AE6592917166_1538854323100.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	960.0 KB
ID:	115745  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
a little "right stuff" sealer on both sides after cleaning all surfaces with brake clean
even the doughnut ... to get the release agent and cosmoline off..

it expands a bit once compressed ............

intake bolts go in and stay loose

snug the long skinny bolt up to pull the manifold forward .... then torque intake bolts

S T

then pull the water pump ....

did you grease up the or at least oil up the timing chain and the fuel pump arm and inside the eccentric ?

and you had dowl pin sleeves on the block or timing cover

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...aau-n538s.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Yes on everything but not certain about the dowels. The timing cover is new from KRE just can’t remember if the dowels were in there or if they were in the block. Worst case if they aren’t in there are they critical? I prefer not to take the timing cover off. Also, what are these blue things for? They were in all the gasket sets I bought for the engine but no idea where they go. Thanks.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41185D58-ACAC-46C1-B110-8C9E2674DF09_1538870182043.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	646.1 KB
ID:	115747  

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 07:12 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70conv View Post
Yes on everything but not certain about the dowels. The timing cover is new from KRE just canít remember if the dowels were in there or if they were in the block. Worst case if they arenít in there are they critical? I prefer not to take the timing cover off. Also, what are these blue things for? They were in all the gasket sets I bought for the engine but no idea where they go. Thanks.

Mike
They are inserts that hold the intake gaskets to the heads - 2 inserts per side.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
KRE timing covers do not have the countersunk bores in the bottom two bolt holes, so you can't use the dowel sleeves with them. At least I couldn't with mine. They way to install it is to leave the timing cover bolts loose enough so that it can move a little, then install the balancer. With the timing cover loose, it should center itself on the balancer seal. Then tighten the bolts.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Well I can loosen the bolts but I mounted the TC cover already and I tacked the gasket on both sides with silicone so it’s basically stuck on but I guess it can shift a little if I loosen the bolts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
That seal looks too small for my liking. With all of mine, with oem timing covers, that seal is always, and has always been, a press-in fit with no gaps at all. If you have to use it, use enough sealer around the outside edges, and let it tack up for awhile before the install.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
That seal looks too small for my liking. With all of mine, with oem timing covers, that seal is always, and has always been, a press-in fit with no gaps at all. If you have to use it, use enough sealer around the outside edges, and let it tack up for awhile before the install.
The seal that he showed in the first photo is consistent with all of the ones that I've gotten in gasket sets for the past several years. I don't know if it's the "right" one but it's what has been in there. I too always add some "insurance" in the way of a good silicone sealant to both sides before I install it. I also always cut my coolant crossover apart from the rest of the intake manifold.

On the silicone, I apply decent layer to both sides - not crazy goopy, but "enough". Then I assemble the crossover but tighten all 3 bolts only barely finger tight, just enough to hold things in place. I let it sit for about an hour to let the sealant cure a little and start to firm up, then I torque everything down. I've never needed any kind of sealant where the crossover mates to the water passages in the heads, I just use it on the donut.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in