User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
DTM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Evacuation Setup

We have a '70 455 +.40 in a 4-speed car with headers. A long time ago, I had but in an "evacuation" setup that consisted of a 1/2 pipe @ a 45-degree installed at the header collector, with a 45-degree angle end and a "notch" at 45-degrees to create a "vacuum". To this, we connect an EGR check valve and ran a hose up to a connection (-10AN) on one valve cover.

The questions are:
Should we still use this setup (street car with 2.5 full exhaust with cross-over "X" pipe)?
If so, should we run a hose from each valve cover to a "T" to the one hose running to the EGR?
Or, the one valve cover - one hose setup that it was
This motor / head / cam combination has never been run (yet).....

Thanks in advance,

DTM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:07 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Not needed. The evacuation system is really for race engines that spin high RPM's to take advantage of them. Your stock EGR valve should work just fine, so no need to go crazy with the evac system UNLESS you just want to add it because you want to.

Found this warning: "Remember they do not recommend using this set-up with mufflers. The whole idea behind them is to remove built up pressure in the engine by creating vacuum. Muffles create back pressure. That being said I did have mufflers bolted on my collectors earlier in the year before I blew them out and to some extent I still had vacuum but I didn't have a complete exhaust system. "

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...uation-systems
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:31 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
In the mid 80's had a 468 Chevelle street/strip car (barely streetable), the idea with the Moroso header evac setup was to aid ring seal, but as Jim mentions only for use with open headers. Building a racecar, am sure there would still be some advantages, ESP with loose ring clearances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in