Exhaust Recommendations - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Exhaust Recommendations

I'm about ready to put my engine in the shop to be rebuilt and I'll be upgrading the exhaust while it's there. The car is a 67 GTO convertible and the engine is the 400 but will have a lot higher flow with the stroker kit and higher flow heads I'm putting on.

I'm looking at a kit from ram air restoration that includes increased flow ram air reproduction manifolds and a 2.5 x-pipe style system. Any experience with this set up? Any other options I should be looking at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Ram Air Restoration makes very high quality parts. I wouldn't hesitate to use their products.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

Last edited by BearGFR; 03-27-2014 at 11:42 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 PM

X2 what Bear suggested. I would go with the 2.5 outlets and min 2.5 mandrel pipe. Some performance guys would suggest 3" down pipes then to a crossover and 2.5 the rest of way. Problem with 3 " is things can start getting a little tight for clearance...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

If I decided to go with a set of Dougs headers would I have any fitment issues or have to change starters?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 04:24 PM

Don't get me going on that topic I have never used Dougs headers, but they seem to be the best option for the Pontiac A-body. You will likely have to do a little tweaking, which is common for headers. More so if you have a clutch. Your starter will be tight, but will still fit. However, you will need to drop the header if ever replacing the starter. Also, the standard size oil filter may not fit. I used to run the later model small filter (forget the number) when I had headers in my 66.

If this mainly a street car, I would highly suggest the RA manifolds. Good flow, less noise, no leaks, and allows the owner to maintain their sanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in