User Tag List

3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Fuel pressure (1965 tri power)

So my car is running fine (for now) but I just installed a FP regulator and inline gauge and my pump appears to be putting out less than 3 psi (regulator maxed) !!! John from Pontiac Tripower suggested that I install a FP regulator and gauge to limit the FP pressure to ~3.5 psi (which he feels is ideal for the tri power setup). I had always thought it was supposed to be more the 6-8 psi. Also, the FP gauge needle is really bouncing (I know the car has a mechanical FP, but all cars I have ever seen with FP gauges are much smoother).

My question is did the factory fuel pump only produce ~3 psi or is there a problem with my pump / setup ? (It appears the new FP are cheap - sub $40 and probably fairly straight forward to replace.) The car runs fine and AFRs are good right now. I am just wondering if it is a matter time.....

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor from top.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	113089  

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
5-6.5 psi is what's called for. Also check your flow rate as that can be an issue as well.
cij911 likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Young View Post
5-6.5 psi is what's called for. Also check your flow rate as that can be an issue as well.
To check flow rate, I am guessing you mean install an inline gauge ? Not sure how I would do that, but I will look into it.

So it sounds like my fuel pump is on the way out ??

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 AM

The easy test is take the inlet to the carb off and connect a rubber hose long enough to reach a safe place outside the engine compartment, then put the hose in a coffee can and have someone start the engine. You should have a steady forceful stream into the can (at least a pint) . If it starts out good then falls off in less than 30 sec, then check the sock in the tank for being restricted. These are old cars. Just had a old chev with a plugged sock and it would run but not very well under load, changed the fuel pickup tube and pump and now runs 4-0.

Oh, just to make sure you know, fuel is flammable, be careful when spraying it around a hot engine :-)

Last edited by Bob Young; 06-05-2018 at 09:47 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Young View Post
The easy test is take the inlet to the carb off and connect a rubber hose long enough to reach a safe place outside the engine compartment, then put the hose in a coffee can and have someone start the engine. You should have a steady forceful stream into the can (at least a pint) . If it starts out good then falls off in less than 30 sec, then check the sock in the tank for being restricted. These are old cars. Just had a old chev with a plugged sock and it would run but not very well under load, changed the fuel pickup tube and pump and now runs 4-0.

Oh, just to make sure you know, fuel is flammable, be careful when spraying it around a hot engine :-)
I have a new filter, new sock, and new pickup, so I doubt that is the issue. I know it is flowing good enough to maintain AFRs (logging with a wideband), so if I were to check flow I would do so a tad more accurately ....No idea how this method would work anyways as the FP is mechanical and thus the car needs to be running for the FP to work (unless you are just cranking the car for 10 seconds and measuring output )....

My guess is the pump is on the way out (may be original) and is definitely ancient.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Back in the day didn't have a method to do that, only checking plugs for proper color :-)

You can have weak pressure and flow and if a flat lander might be able to get around ok. Living around hills would be a different animal. Trying to make it up a pass like the Siskiyous or Blue mountains you would definitely have an issue!

There should be enough fuel in the bowl to run the car for at least 30 sec at idle. I don't know of a spec back in the day other than the rule of thumb being "at least a pint in 30 sec". I just watch the flow and can tell when it's not enough. Guess almost 50 years of dicking around with carburetors/engines something has to rub off...

If you have already done the work of checking the tank, next would be the pump and I would also replace any rubber lines you have not replaced yet. LOL, 53 years is a lot to ask of rubber :-)

Good luck! Let us know what you find.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:29 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
I would simply replace the pump just for good measure. If original, or even an older replacement, the pump's rubber diaphragm is most likely not compatible with ethanol fuel anyway and is/has deteriorated. For the price, and not too hard to replace, I would opt for an updated fuel pump that is ethanol friendly - and make sure all rubber lines are also ethanol compatible.

Assume that your needle in the carbs are also upgraded to the ethanol compatible type. I also assume that FP might fluctuate somewhat as the bowl fills/empties thus opening the needle and seat as needed- especailly when all three carbs are being used.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
I would simply replace the pump just for good measure. If original, or even an older replacement, the pump's rubber diaphragm is most likely not compatible with ethanol fuel anyway and is/has deteriorated. For the price, and not too hard to replace, I would opt for an updated fuel pump that is ethanol friendly - and make sure all rubber lines are also ethanol compatible.

Assume that your needle in the carbs are also upgraded to the ethanol compatible type. I also assume that FP might fluctuate somewhat as the bowl fills/empties thus opening the needle and seat as needed- especailly when all three carbs are being used.
Thanks Jim! Would a Carter unit be fine https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c.../submodel/base ?

Chris

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 07:25 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
Thanks Jim! Would a Carter unit be fine https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c.../submodel/base ?

Chris
Although the Summit description does not indicate if the rubber diaphragm is compatible with ethanol gas, it seems to be according to this Hot Rod article - so yes, looks like a good one: Pontiac Fuel Pumps - How To Select The Right Fuel Pump - Hot Rod Network
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just my 2 cents, but when I rebuilt the 400 I had in my '65 I replaced the fuel pump with a Holley one. Ended up seeping fuel from the tri-power because the Holley was pushing 5-7 psi and the Tri-power floats were being overcome. I installed a Holley fuel regulator before the inlet, which was set at 3.5 psi and never had the float issue again. My tri-power was a '66 version and had been refurbished by PontiacTripower.com, Pete I think.

Joe.
cij911 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in