Fuel problems on 389. - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fuel problems on 389.

I just bought a 65 GTO with 398 engine. Seller said he always used 93 octane without ethanol. I put 9 gallons of Shell V power nitro+ in with the half full tank. 5 miles later engine started acting starved then as I reached my driveway it started popping and running rough. Never heard any pinging. Any idea what happened. Obviously it had something to do with the new gas.Thanks for any help you can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did the car set awhile. The problem can be many different things. I just purchased a 65 weeks back and it stopped pulling gas from tank. Long story short it had rust in it. I replaced it and sending unit along with rubber hoses and filter. I did have to clean carb out as well. First thing to do is pull filter out of carb. If its good work back to tank. If your good there look for a vacuum leak. PVC or brake booster hoses are a good starting point. Hope this helps. Good luck.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Seller filled tank six weeks ago and had used about half when I bought it. In line filter is clean as can be. The popping sounds were like mini backfires. Thanks for your input.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you considered fuel boiling in the lines or in the float bowl? Vapor lock issues can make my brother's 64 Tri-Power GTO exhibit similar symptoms under the right conditions.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Fuel boiling? Never heard of that
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Update. I drained the gas tank and found nothing foreign in the fuel. I decided to try and start the engine to see if a cool engine made any difference. It started and immediately began coughing quite a bit and blowing mist back out of the carb at every cough. Could this be a timing issue with the 93 octane?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I am going to mix a few gallons of cam2 with fresh 93 and see if it runs better.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Today I got all the fuel lines empty and air flowed freely thru all lines. I pushed compressed air thru the pickup into the gas tank. All good. Replaced the fuel hoses that I pulled loose to drain everything and put a mixture of 2 gallon of cam2 with 2 1/2 gal. of new 93 octane. Couldn't get the fuel pump to prime and pull fuel from rear to front. Car started but still backfired and wanted to quit running. I noticed that the clear plastic fuel filter was showing empty. Pulled the hose loose from carb and unhooked coil wire. Turned the motor over and saw fuel pumping in to my catch container. I am going to have the timing checked and maybe try a different number and see if that takes care of the problem. Any good ideas would be appreciated.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Started the motor again. It soon became a somewhat steady pop about 1 per second at idle speed. Shut it back off.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:26 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjminor View Post
Started the motor again. It soon became a somewhat steady pop about 1 per second at idle speed. Shut it back off.
Could be a timing issue or even the timing chain.

Could be a crossed spark plug wire - causing a misfire.

However, could be a valve needing adjustment. One valve may be hanging open just enough to cause the popping back through the carb. Hopefully not a burned valve as a burned valve will also do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in