• 1 Post By Pinion head
  • 1 Post By Goat Roper
  • 1 Post By geeteeohguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
How to prepare engine for starting after being stored?

I have 65 GTO w/389 that I have been detailing in my garage since last October. I've changed the engine oil and filter, transmission fluid and filter, and will be putting new coolant in as well. Do I need to spray a lubricate into the spark plugs holes before starting the engine (using motor oil or something else)? Do I need to drain the gas and add fresh gas?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank YOu!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
We've always shot some Marvel Mystery oil down the cylinders although a thin oil like 5W20 would do also (to prevent plug fouling). If its been a while since the engine ran you might want to get an oil pump primer to get the oil circulated prior to starting. Pontiac vendors like Ames have them ( https://secure.amesperf.com/qilan/Se...EA40B3F58C1391 ). Making sure you have added ZDDP to the oil is also a necessity.

Draining gas and putting in fresh would be good especially if the present stuff is an ethanol blend which deteriorates fast. A temporary solution would be to have some fresh gas in a can near the front of the GTO and running a rubber hose from the pump inlet to the gas can to ensure she's starting on fresh stuff. (My brother, the Chevelle guy, usually gets a 5 gallon can of ethanol free premium, adds Stabil and a fuel line cleaner to it and dumps it in the tank. Most of the time he is lucky and it will start up after putting fresh gas in the fuel bowl. However I am not recommending this, just saying some can be lucky.)

Hopefully others will chime in with their advice. Best of luck!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Thank you! I saw on GAs Monkey where they did a "cold Start" (no ignition) on an engine to check for oil pressure before firing it. Once they determined the pressure was good they fired it and let it warm up. My question after watching them was, were the spark plugs in or out for the cold start. I'd think spraying in oil and not having a way to burn it (no plugs) could cause a bent rod. Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks again!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roqetman View Post
Thank you! I saw on GAs Monkey where they did a "cold Start" (no ignition) on an engine to check for oil pressure before firing it. Once they determined the pressure was good they fired it and let it warm up. My question after watching them was, were the spark plugs in or out for the cold start. I'd think spraying in oil and not having a way to burn it (no plugs) could cause a bent rod. Do you have any thoughts on this? Thanks again!
Unfamiliar with Gas Monkey but we've put oil down cylinders (through plugholes) for decades with no damage. The THIN oil will seep down the sides of the piston lubricating the rings and cylinder walls ending up in the oil pan.. Folks do this all the time with compression checks to see if the cylinder pressure comes up after oiling or not. If cranking cylinder pressure comes up after oiling, then the rings are suspect/worn. If little to no difference, then the valves are leaking and need a valve job. Pros use this trick as well as piney woods mechanics. I've never encountered a hydrolock nor has my brother. We usually leave the plugs out except for the compression tester.

We turn the engine over by hand while using the oil pump driver on an electric drill to pump oil throughout the entire engine. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Very helpful info! Thank You!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:35 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Marvel Mystery Oil works! have used it on several driver type Pontiac engines as ell as Briggs engines that had set for a long long time.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I used it on a frozen hit and miss engine, it took over 6 months to free it up occasionally rocking the flywheel before it popped loose.
That was over 20 years ago and that engine has been used every year since then to run an apple press to make unfiltered organic juice.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 02:31 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I've started up cars that sat for 2-3 years just by jumping the battery and turning the key. Sitting since last October? Don't even worry about it. Just run it. You can crank it without the coil wire hooked up until you have oil pressure, and then re-connect and start it up. Good to go.
chuckha62 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in