User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Just dyno’d my engine

I just dyno’d my engine today. It’s a 490 CI stroker, 10:1 compression, KRE D-port heads out of the box, edelbrock performer intake with a mild hydraulic Roller cam, 850 vac secondary carb MSD Billet distributor, and Ram air exhaust manifolds. It made 616 HP and 703 ft/lb of torque on pump gas. I was very happy. I was hoping for 550 HP so this was great. The monster torque numbers were really a bonus. This will def make driving my big heavy 70 GTO a lot of fun! Thanks for all the help you guys have provided me over the last year while I assembled this motor, my first build.

Mike
PontiacJim, deanhickey and cij911 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70conv View Post
I just dynoíd my engine today. Itís a 490 CI stroker, 10:1 compression, KRE D-port heads out of the box, edelbrock performer intake with a mild hydraulic Roller cam, 850 vac secondary carb MSD Billet distributor, and Ram air exhaust manifolds. It made 616 HP and 703 ft/lb of torque on pump gas. I was very happy. I was hoping for 550 HP so this was great. The monster torque numbers were really a bonus. This will def make driving my big heavy 70 GTO a lot of fun! Thanks for all the help you guys have provided me over the last year while I assembled this motor, my first build.

Mike
Sound like a blast. Hope you upgraded the brakes LOL. post some pictures.
Instg8ter and cij911 like this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
I just dynoíd my engine today. Itís a 490 CI stroker, 10:1 compression, KRE D-port heads out of the box, edelbrock performer intake with a mild hydraulic Roller cam, 850 vac secondary carb MSD Billet distributor, and Ram air exhaust manifolds. It made 616 HP and 703 ft/lb of torque on pump gas. I was very happy. I was hoping for 550 HP so this was great. The monster torque numbers were really a bonus. This will def make driving my big heavy 70 GTO a lot of fun! Thanks for all the help you guys have provided me over the last year while I assembled this motor, my first build.

Mike
Mike - Did you build the motor? What stroker kit did you use? Congratulations !

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Yes I assembled it. The package was put together by the guys at Kauffman Racing Equipment. They supplied the block and everything. I can’t recall the exact specs of the stroker kit and my paperwork is at my shop. Pretty sure the crank was made by eagle. I told them I wanted a very streetable combo, one that would work with the factory AC on my car, but I wanted min 550 HP. This was the setup they sold me. I did it this way because I wanted to be able to build an engine with my son as a project for us to do. We did it all— file-fit the rings,
Plastiguaged all the clearances, degreed the cam, etc, etc. I’ve spent my whole life working on cars but I never built an engine before. Some skills are applicable to any engine and some things are only unique to Pontiacs so it was a steep learning curve but the guys in this forum were def a big help.

Mike
PontiacJim, deanhickey and cij911 like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
you dont even have an idea what kind of fun you will have with that torque on hand. , agree about brakes and power steering....sure if your building with quality meterials that you will do it up right....ENJOY!!! thats what its all about

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Here's the info on the build:

Ohio Crank forged 4.50/3.00
KB Pistons 943-30 4.5 stroke
Eagle Rods 6.700
KRE Heads 85 cc stock heads
MSD Dist. 8528
RPM Performer intake
Comp cam 235/241HR14+4
Trend pushrods 8.800
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3608.PNG
Views:	61
Size:	926.0 KB
ID:	119799  
deanhickey likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Very nice! Great numbers with that combo!

I’m putting together a 461 stroker for a customer with similar specs. 4 bolt main 400 block, Butler billet main caps, butler 461 forged stroker kit with eagle rods, eagle crank, butler/ross flat top pistons. Top end will be KRE D ports with a port matched northwinds single plane and holley super sniper. We were going to go with a fairly large tight lash solid roller cam but the power you made with a mild roller cam is amazing. The customer’s goal is 650hp at the crank. Street driven as well as track runs around once a month. Car is a ‘77 trans am.

Again very impressed with the power on your setup! Great job

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:05 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Here's the info on the build:

Ohio Crank forged 4.50/3.00
KB Pistons 943-30 4.5 stroke
Eagle Rods 6.700
KRE Heads 85 cc stock heads
MSD Dist. 8528
RPM Performer intake
Comp cam 235/241HR14+4
Trend pushrods 8.800

At what RPM's did the engine hit those numbers? Curious as to the RPM you had to spin a 4.5" stroker crank. I want to build a big inch engine at some point in my life as well and on paper I can see 5,800 RPM being a pretty good number to shoot for and not run on the ragged edge.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Peek HP was at 5,400 RPM, peek torque was at 3,600. One question I had was about the oil pressure. It was recorded by the Dyno throughout the run. It started at 60 psi at 3,500 RPM (the lowest RPM the Dyno recorded data) on one run it went down to 42 psi and on the other it went dwin to 32 psi at 5,800 rpm. Is this a reasonable pressure for a Pontiac engine? This is my first Pontiac build. Thanks for your input.

Mike
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:17 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Peek HP was at 5,400 RPM, peek torque was at 3,600. One question I had was about the oil pressure. It was recorded by the Dyno throughout the run. It started at 60 psi at 3,500 RPM (the lowest RPM the Dyno recorded data) on one run it went down to 42 psi and on the other it went dwin to 32 psi at 5,800 rpm. Is this a reasonable pressure for a Pontiac engine? This is my first Pontiac build. Thanks for your input.

Mike

Thanks, better (lower RPM's) than I thought for those kinds of numers.

I personally would be concerned with your oil pressure numbers. Pontiac engines should have 60 PSI above 2500 RPM's. Dropping pressure as RPM's go up is not what you want.

I would discuss this with your dyno man to make sure it was not an equipment fluke. If it is not, then I would be looking for a cause. The rule of thumb is 10 PSI for each 1,000 RPM.

Read this article: https://www.pontiacdiy.com/pontiac-v...-system-guide/

There could be a number of reasons. I am going to just ramble on and throw out ideas to consider.

1st, poor quality oil filter not flowing enough. Butler Pontiac recommends a Wix oil filter.

What oil pump did you use? I used a Mellings 60 PSI pump on a 400 build and had problems. On my present 455 build, I began with a Mellings 60PSI pump. It has a courser quality screen ( larger holes) than the fine screen mesh on the 400 build I did. I feel the fine mesh may have contributed to my problem. Anyway, I then purchased the heavy duty oil pump plate. This is thicker and is designed to provide anticavitation. You can see it and read the description here: https://www.tinindianperformance.com...il-pump-plate/ At the time, Butler Pontiac had a Pro-pump they offered, but only for an 80PSI oil pump. They eventually did put out a Pro-pump for the 60PSI oil pump -so I bought this and will use it on my 455.

What oil pan? If you used a deeper pan, did you get the matching pump pick-up tube/screen? You would have also wanted to check the clearance between the bottom of the pan and bottom of the pick-up screen. Too much space can be a problem as well as sitting too low and not enough space.

Windage tray or screen?

Was the pick-up tube secured in any way to the oil pmp so it could not fall off? If the pick-up tube/screen were to fall off, oil pressure can suffer.

I assume you purchased a new oil pump drive shaft? Never use the factory one. You want an aftermarket hardened pump shaft. The factory piece can break. You can get a simple inexpensive one from most any Pontiac parts supplier or step up and get something more rugged. I went with this one from Nitemare Performance: Standard sleeved & hardened oil pump driveshaft Bear GFR used one and as I recall, you have to check your clearances on that larger end sleeve. He has others as well as the oil pumps & oil pump plates.

That said, I would talk with your dyno guy first. I assume the engine is still out of the car? It would be easier now to pull the pan IF needed than once you get it in the car and could have to take it back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in