lemans passenger side exhaust manifold flapper valve??????? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lemans passenger side exhaust manifold flapper valve???????

i took my passenger side exhaust manifold off (for reasons i wish not to discuss) and noticed that there was some kind of flapper valve that was wire tied closed. what is the point of this valve and is there a way to eliminate this without spending big money going with ram air manifolds or some type of header?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 PM

flapper

That would be the heat riser valve, and is thermostatically controlled (normally a bi-metal spring) and is used for cold weather starts. It'll be closed when cold, directing exhaust gas from the right side through the passageway in the intake, and into the left exhaust bank, heating up the carb for better cold weather drivability. The valve will slowly open as the engine heats up, and be fully open when hot, allowing the right bank to flow freely without going through the intake. If your valve was tied closed, then all right bank exhaust would be diverted through the intake. If anything, they should have tied it OPEN. Depending what kind of carb setup you have,(and what part of the country you live in) you may want to make it fully functional again (if it's not rotted away), or disconnect it altogether (cut the flap out of it, and weld the holes). When I lived up north, I always made SURE that baby was working. (I dare you to try and drive your car at 40 below zero without one!).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

ok great thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in