More....Carb and Timing Help? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More....Carb and Timing Help?

I now have a pretty good compromise...but still getting some popping on deceleration from WOT. My current Jet and Rod combo gives very good performance and seems to be the best for my "load up" at idle. Should I try adjusting my timing, or use the chart from Lars for rod/jet cruise area and pick a larger jet but stay in the same cruise area.? Engine has headers and Magnaflow mufflers

It was difficult finding a combination that does not load the engine, just off idle into reverse, with the 744 cam. I am definitely having issues with my idle circuit as it runs rich at idle but clearly gets lean at cruise and WOT. Car has headers and is at 9 deg for base timing... vacuum advance is all in at idle for a total of 27 deg measured at crank .. stock distributor 1111946 but new B28 can for low vacuum of 15 at idle and 10 in reverse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should add that i ended up compromising on power piston springs as well...it opens slightly when put in reverse when the engine sees a little load...i know that spring should have the rods pulled in at idle ...that works in PARK but not R. Are the rods supposed to be pulled in on an Auto tranny when in D or R?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in