Need Exhaust Manifold Advice - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Exhaust Manifold Advice

Looking for help on exhaust manifolds. I have a 1971 motor with the following head info: Exhaust Port Casting 99 1971 – 400 – 265 HP

The person I bought the car from had put headers on the car but must have realized all the bolt holes didn't match up so he just installed 4 bolts and he jammed a bunch of gasket goo in the gaps at the ends and now that I have the car running, it's leaking like a sieve.

My question is this - I want to install stock exhaust manifolds and I see lots for sale on E-Bay, but I can't tell if I need the type with 4 bolt holes or the kind with 5 or 6. I can't see how many it needs because the headers cover up the entire area and I don't want to start tearing it apart until I have the replacement manifold.

Can someone give me some pointers? Anything I should look for that would let me know I'm bidding on the right manifolds. Many seem to be saying they will fit any 350-400-455 motors, but I'm skeptical. I've attached two pics of ones I've seen on e-bay. One has 4 holes and the other has 5 holes.
Attached Images

Ramairbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Call Ram-Air Restorations....tell them which heads you have. Buy a set of the correct manifolds (like the pic on the right in your post). You will be very happy! Eric

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 04:00 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
If you're running either the stock "log" type cast iron manifolds, or the HO cast iron manifolds (like both you pictured) you don't need to worry about what heads you have. Both will seal up just fine weather you use the 4 bolt HO style or the 6 bolt log style. Many later Pontiac heads had no bolt holes on the outer flanges of their exhaust port, and these won't leak with iron manifolds. With headers, they're impossible.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Call Ram-Air Restorations....tell them which heads you have. Buy a set of the correct manifolds (like the pic on the right in your post). You will be very happy! Eric
With what the man done said. Those folks are good to talk to and they'll take the time to make sure you have the correct parts.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks guys - great advice - appreciate the help.

Ramairbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in