Oil pan clearance - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I am having some issues with oil pan clearance. I have to raise the motor mount 0.5" off the frame on the drivers side to get around a 1/16" clearance. Lifting the passengers side doesn't seem to help that much.
I have an aftermarket RPC oil pan that I got from Butler performance. They have used the oil pan many times and have never had issues with clearance. I have replaced the motor mounts but that doesn't seem to help.

The stock AC clutch fan sits low in my radiator shroud (I'm assuming the shroud is stock, but I can't find part numbers on it). The shroud has over 2 inches of space between the top of the fan and 13/16" from the bottom.

My question is if frame sag could really contribute to this much of a difference? If not what else should I be looking in?

Last edited by 69 237; 11-18-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like it might be the infamous frame spread. Over the years the sides of the front crossmember can spread apart due to age, weight, abuse, etc... if that happens it lowers the mounts and can cause the problems you're describing.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Is there any way to fix frame spread, or am I better off just shimming the half inch it needs and moving on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in