Pypes exhaust - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pypes exhaust

Anyone have experience with a Pypes exhaust system? I am considering a 2 1/2" X-pipe for my '67 GTO (slightly modified 400 with "670" heads,
HO manifolds, stock Q-jet). If anyone has done an installation on a similar car, I'd like to know what your experience with has been with installation, sound, performance and highway "drone".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I have 3" with X pipe, pro street system. I get a lot of attention. There is distinct drone at 35-40mph. Pypes are designed for GTOs and fit right up. I took a tour of the pypes facility last year its really cool.

You'll get varying opinions on exhausts, but I like mine. It sounds really good, I get people coming up to me at traffic stops inquiring about it.

You can call them and talk to their staff they can answer your questions. They are tied in with Performance Years they share the same facility.

President: GTO Association of America
www.gtoaa.org

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I'm running them on the Beast. 2 1/2" system from the headers to the bumper, x-change crossover, Pypes Race-Pro mufflers, electric cutouts. No drone that I've noticed, but they sure come alive when you, ah, "un-obstruct the air flow" through the carburetor.

Real soon now I'll be in a position to comment on their warranty and customer service, since both cutouts have failed and I've sent them in for warranty repair.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:28 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
A friend installed a complete 2 1/2 Pypes system with the X crossover on his '65 GTO clone. I was impressed with the overall fit, high quality, and LACK OF EXHAUST LEAKS. No drone, and the car sounds really "tight".
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback - the only Pypes system I've seen installed was on a friend's LaMans and the system hung wayyyy low. Maybe poor installation? I have heard that a 1 1/2" downpipe with RamAir manifolds was a problem and that 2 1/4" downpipes are as large as you can go without prblems. The Pypes website installation photos do look as though the 2 1/2" downpipe is really a tight fit. Any comments on this?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Not exactly apples-to-apples since I've got headers on the Beast (so no downpipes), but I like the way my Pypes 2 1/2" system fits.

I could get it up higher if it weren't for the dumps on the end legs of the x-pipe. Those are the limiting factor now as they are up against the floor pan.

There are two changes that I made since these photos were taken: I replaced most of the clamped joints with welds...

... and installed electric cutouts in place of the block off plates.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
^^ I like the looks of that system!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

WoW!!! Thankxxx for the response and GREAT pix! I really, really like your car! :-)

The Pypes fit looks good - the installation on my friend's car (Ram Air manifolds) has the pipes (Pypes?) hanging ~2" below the car's crossmember and the whole system ends up hanging low. I notice that when I compare Pypes and RamAirRestoration systems, the downpipes from RamAir curve down; then curve back up again, whereas the Pypes downpipes do not curve back up again. I'm thinking that the initial curve down is needed for clearance and the RamAir system makes it easier to get the downstream pipes up higher.

Anyone have experience with the RamAir X-pipe system?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG67 View Post
I have heard that a 1 1/2" downpipe with RamAir manifolds was a problem and that 2 1/4" downpipes are as large as you can go without prblems. The Pypes website installation photos do look as though the 2 1/2" downpipe is really a tight fit. Any comments on this?
Any word on this? This is exactly the problem that I am having. I just installed a new 2 1/2" crossover system on my 69 GTO. I am running 2 1/4" ram air manifolds with 2 1/2" Pypes downpipes. The new system sounds great, but it has exhaust leaks where the downpipes hook up, because the downpipe fits into the manifold super tight and is so close to the studs that it is almost impossible to tighten them. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Im thinking the downpipe might need to be bashed in a little to allow clearance for the nut. Help would be appreciated before I start hammering.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gentlemen, is the system your talking about stainless? If not, has anyone had experience with stainless, raw or polished?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in