Question regarding engine shake - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question regarding engine shake

We recently rebuilt the 389 in our 65 GTO and it appears we have a problem. The engine idles normally but raising the rpm to say 1500 to 2500 and holding it at a constant rpm the engine shakes. My thought after talking to the guy who did the machine work that because he resurfaced the heads (and we have no record and he can't remember how much was removed) perhaps the valves are not closing all the way. Does anyone have any idea as to what would cause the shake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnemike View Post
We recently rebuilt the 389 in our 65 GTO and it appears we have a problem. The engine idles normally but raising the rpm to say 1500 to 2500 and holding it at a constant rpm the engine shakes. My thought after talking to the guy who did the machine work that because he resurfaced the heads (and we have no record and he can't remember how much was removed) perhaps the valves are not closing all the way. Does anyone have any idea as to what would cause the shake?
Engine rebalanced during the rebuild?

Rocker arm nut has backed off.

Dead cylinder - rocker arm fell off or pushrod bent not activating a rocker/valve.

Worn/rounded cam shaft lobe and valves not opening as they should.

Could be an ignition/distributor problem.

Could be a fuel problem - bad gas/water in fuel, carb problem.

If valve problem - ie not closing fully, you would most likely hear popping out the exhaust or back through the carb - unless a valve is simply closed due to rocker arm off.

Typically resurfacing the head only takes off a minimum of material and is not the same as milling the head to raise compression.

These are just a few thoughts as it could be something else completely different. You could also have a very major problem as well. So very hard to be specific on such a general question and unknown.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Lots of guys have reversed the #5 & #7 plug wires. It's easy to do, unless you have some very nicely arranged wires, with dividers. I've been in a hurry and done it a few times myself.

On my race cars, I ran long wires, because I took the valve covers off frequently. Never ran short wires with nice neat dividers. Didn't wanna have to remove all the wires every time i removed a VC. So, when hooking up the longer wires, it was easy to reverse #5 & #7, if you were in a big hurry.

Some of these guys have probably never made this mistake. But I've made this one & LOTS of others.

Last edited by bigD; 01-10-2019 at 10:33 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Bad motor mount ?

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Engine not re-balanced during rebuild. Same connecting rods, pistons, crank, flywheel and dampener. It was basically a .030" bore, bearings and a new cam (same profile as stock). Checked plug wires for #5 and #7 swap. Clean fuel in a new tank. I spoke to a guy who builds Pontiac race motors (Carl from Carl's Tin & Chassis in Oakdale, Ca.) and he was leaning heavily on valves not closing completely. He suggested ARP 7/16" rocker studs with ARP Perma-Loc nuts and manually adjusting the valves. I ordered these from Summit today.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I should probably start another thread for this question but does anyone happen to know what the correct vacuum configuration is for a 1965 GTO 389 with the 4-barrel carburetor as it relates to the vacuum advance and the brake booster? There is one port on the back of the carburetor and as you know the only two ports in the manifold are in front for the PCV valve. It would seem that a T-fitting on the back of the carburetor would work. I have looked through several restoration books and online and cannot find a definitive diagram or picture of this set up.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Still using the stock harmonic balancer?

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Yes we are still using the stock balancer. The balancer appeared to be in good condition.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

The motor mounts are brand new.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

In response to PontiacJim, we believe the problem is related to the material removed from the heads during resurfacing. I keep reading stories about people replacing the rocker studs with 7/16" studs which screw into heads with screw-in studs. Our heads have the old style, pressed-in, hollow studs that provide oil to the rocker balls. We can tap the heads but I'm looking for an easier fix. I realize that due to the machining done to the heads our push rods are now a bit too long. Since the rocker nuts tighten against the shoulder on the stud, does anyone know if there is a different nut that doesn't push the rocker ball down so far, compensating for the extra push rod length? The original nuts look like they could have material machined off of them to fix this issue. Has anyone ever dealt with this issue?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
would a vacuum gauge give you any clues ? ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in