Rebuilding tri power carbs - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Rebuilding tri power carbs

I am in the process of rebuilding my tri power carbs and started with the front carb (two outer are the same as you all know).

I disassembled the carb and soaked it in parts cleaner for ~30 minutes. Then washed with really hot water, used an air gun to blow out. I then cleaned the top two pieces off (appeared to be a film / paint) and re-dipped in the parts cleaner for another 30 minutes and repeated the cleaning and drying process.

Now the carb was ready for rebuilding, but first I wanted to protect the metal. I taped off pieces I did not want painted and then sprayed the iron base with two light coats of grey primer followed by two light coats of semi gloss black. The top two pieces of the car (body and lid) were lightly painted with Eastwood's Carb Renew II Bronze.

I am happy so far with how they look, but have a question about the throttle blades - they look rusted / discolored. Should I treat them with anything ? I know nobody will see them but me, but still now would be the time to correct....

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front carb throttle blades.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	108066   Click image for larger version

Name:	front carb internal.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	108074   Click image for larger version

Name:	front carb.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	108082   Click image for larger version

Name:	front carb 2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	108090  

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Well I did not change the blades or clean them with anything. They appeared to be sealing fairly tight (I could see a sliver of light around one of the blades when holding up to the light) and given that each has an intentional pinhole I figure they are fine. Car fired right up and the accelerator squirt was super strong. Now for the next two....

BTW - John @ Pontiac Tripower is a great guy if you need anything for your Pontiac. I bought the carb rebuild kit and bolt package from him. Everything was neatly packaged and labeled to ease installation. And of course if you have questions, he is readily available and very knowledgeable.

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in