User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Source for factory appearing tall style valve covers

Guys

Finishing up the assembly of my 400 and just realized the OEM valve covers won’t fit over the roller rockers. I’m looking to source new valve covers but can’t find ones with a factory appearance, i.e. simple chrome ones with the breather holes i. The middle. Does anyone make these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are aluminum spacers available in different heights, OPG has some, and I have seen others on ebay also. I have a 70 RAlll motor in my 65, I used oversized cork gaskets to clear the early style factory valve covers that were run through 66. I'm not running roller rockers though.

1965 GTO Convertible
1965 Mid-Engine Corvair
1967 Cutlass Supreme convert, LS3
1970 El Camino SS 396
2005 Chevrolet Duramax pick up
2006 GTO 6M
2011 Honda Accord 6 speed Navi Coupe
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Some use the 5/16" thick gaskets. If that's not tall enuff, you can glue 'em together & run as many as needed.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2445...spm-11765.html

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...saAtOTEALw_wcB

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
The Edlebrock 5/16" thick work with the roller rockers.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I use a set of these with stock factory chrome valve covers. Combined with a set of thick cork gaskets both above and below the spacer, they clear roller rockers AND Jomar stud girdles.

Pontiac Spacers [Black]

I painted mine engine color, gaskets and all. The casual observer will tend not to notice them.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
If you have AC, you can't go too big or your bracket won't fit over the top of valve cover.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72goat View Post
If you have AC, you can't go too big or your bracket won't fit over the top of valve cover.
Oh yeah, thanks for remembering that and pointing it out. My car had factory A/C but I opted not to use it over concerns about low manifold vacuum - but you're right, that could be a problem. None of the manifolds I've been ("forced to") use have the bolt boss for that bracket. I'm sure it would have to be modified some to clear with the spacers, or maybe even a new one fabricated.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
more on stock valve covers clearing roller rockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70conv View Post
Guys

Finishing up the assembly of my 400 and just realized the OEM valve covers wonít fit over the roller rockers. Iím looking to source new valve covers but canít find ones with a factory appearance, i.e. simple chrome ones with the breather holes i. The middle. Does anyone make these?
i glued two 1/4 in cork gaskets together then glued them to my stock 400 painted tin valve covers. they clear harland sharpe 1:65 roller rockers with .575 intake and .590 exhaust gross lift. i heavily grease the head side of the gaskets when installing. i have used the same valve covers with the same gaskets for probably 15 years. they do not leak, they come off in an instant, are easy to reinstall and are indefinitely reusable. i do use spreader bars for the valve cover bolts. be sure you straighten the valve cover gasket flanges before gluing on the gaskets. also do not over tighten the valve cover bolts. if you need to take valve covers off frequently, this approach works. and you have stock valve covers on your bigger cam/rocker motor. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in