User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Timing jumps around at idle

My motor is a newer alum head 455 combo with ill admit it, a cheaper china hei. It does has a high quality pre stretched and heat treated double roller timing chain in it. 3000 miles on the clock. Here is my issue.

When I look at the balancer with my timing light i get a few degrees of fluctuation at idle. +/- 4 degrees in either direction at complete random. Also when holding the throttle at about 3000rpm when my timing is all in it is steady but then at random ill see a quick flash of the other side of the balancer then back to steady at 32 degrees. No rhythm or reason to it just quick blips every few seconds. I do hear the motor react when it happens too.

Dizzy specs: China HEI, BOP polymer gear for my roller cam, 14 initial, 18 mechanical, vac can adds 5 degrees, 364 center plate, 139 weights, lightest gold springs from mr gasket curve kit. End play never addressed.

I have done plugs, wires, cap and rotor recently. Bought a new timing light to make sure the light was good too.

Any thoughts? Endplay? Module? Chewed dizzy gear?

You outta see her on a road course, or a quarter mile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It sounds like a bad chain. Pull the dissy cap off and with a socket on the balancer move the crank till the rotor stars to turn then stop. Then move in the other direction till the rotor starts to move making note of about how may degrees the crank is moving.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
It sounds like a bad chain. Pull the dissy cap off and with a socket on the balancer move the crank till the rotor stars to turn then stop. Then move in the other direction till the rotor starts to move making note of about how may degrees the crank is moving.
I will surely give that a go. For what its worth I have a very nice, new top of the line timing chain on it. Less than 1500 miles new. I cant imagine its bad already?!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Good tip by Rukee, also what about that vac can? Is it dithering, blipping in and out? Is it an adjustable can? You can change that can easy, and they cost 15 bucks. Does it knock over 32 degrees total? and why only 5 degrees on the vac can?...

You may have an answer there Ben......
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans guy View Post
Good tip by Rukee, also what about that vac can? Is it dithering, blipping in and out? Is it an adjustable can? You can change that can easy, and they cost 15 bucks. Does it knock over 32 degrees total? and why only 5 degrees on the vac can?...

You may have an answer there Ben......
I never check timing with the vac can plugged in its always capped so its definitely a mechanical issue. It is an adjustable can though, the Accell type, im just going by their instructions in guessing its adding 5 degrees from the setting im on at cruise. The car pings at cruise if its 42 degrees or more with the can. So High 30s is about the max I ever wanted to give it with vac and mech. At least I think i hear it pinging I honestly dont know i hear ticking under low rpm load but the car is kinda loud. I hear something. 32 total was the recommendation from Dave @ SD Perf. He built my heads and designed the cam and i gotta say that 32 total figure must be good cause from 3k rpm to 6k rpm the car is an absolute tire roasting terror but down low im having issues.

Im only 373 geared in a 66 Le Mans so its a kinda heavy car and doesnt have a lot of gear. In hindsight I should have bought the AED750HO instead of AED850HO, because of those gears and the 850 I think im losing out on lower end pull in leui of more top end hp. Im toying with accelerator pump cams, squirters and vac timing trying to get some lower end back. Thats when I found my timing wobble. Cruise 4th or 5th gear at 2000rpm and give it gas it stumbles bad and then cleans up real good around 3200. I know gear would help but it has to be some timing and fuel too. My advance is full in by 3200 but you know hei's, they tend to creep another little 4 degrees or so up by 4000rpm+. Are you saying bump the vac can up a tad? After speaking with Jim Butler he said just measure the chain slack and see if an undersize .005 will fit it. That would be good news in my opinion, $89.95 timing chain fix and be done. Free fix would be the best news!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Could your harmonic balancer have a problem with the rubber slipping on the outer ring?

Just a thought.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I gotta say, timing bouncing around sounds more like a badly bushed breaker plate in the distributor. If the weights on the plate move around or the springs are weak, it would have a tendency to do what you describe. Also, when you put the distributor in did you notice any side to side movement in the shaft? I think I'd be more inclined to suspect the distributor than anything else.

Personally, whenever I've deviated from what GM did, I took a step backwards in reliability.

Chuck
jesterdcv likes this.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968gto421 View Post
Could your harmonic balancer have a problem with the rubber slipping on the outer ring?

Just a thought.
Possibly but it too is a newer power bond unit so doubtful. I think my line hone for ARP studs caused the issue. My chain might be a little loose cause it is a stock size chain in line honed block. After talking to Jim Butler im going to measure to see if i can get a .005 smaller chain on there. If I can not he said itll most likely be fine with a little wander at idle. The high rpm blip he mentioned could be my chinese module going in and out. Might through a new one in to check but "checking to see if this fixes it" usually costs $100 a crack! Chain, module on and on! That shit is old hahaha!

Im working toward a GM assembled and warrantied ZZ502 crate when I sell my 455 but that isnt the end game. Everything always needs work and fine tuning. This hobby isnt cheap or forgiving with time spent.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
I gotta say, timing bouncing around sounds more like a badly bushed breaker plate in the distributor. If the weights on the plate move around or the springs are weak, it would have a tendency to do what you describe. Also, when you put the distributor in did you notice any side to side movement in the shaft? I think I'd be more inclined to suspect the distributor than anything else.

Personally, whenever I've deviated from what GM did, I took a step backwards in reliability.

Chuck
Im pulling it out and inspecting play side to side and end for sure. Great advice. I do have gold "loose" Mr Gasket springs in my dizzy and Butler also mentioned that could cause the bouncing too. I need them though cause with the mediums my car is a dog midrange. Pop those light gold ones in and holy hell its like an extra 75hp. Maybe ill put the stiffer ones in and try the timing light again to eliminate it being the springs before i pull the dizzy. Shit now were cooking with gas yee haw!! lol

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I've never liked the gold springs for EXACTLY this reason. I chased my tail for awhile on my friend's Chevelle, until I looked at the curve kit he put in. Damn light springs.

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in