15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Timing off. What gives?

So I was gonna check my initial timing since breaking in the engine. Started up on first hit on break in, The distributor is set where it runs its best by ear. I took the timing light to it and it was about 2" off the mark. I moved the dizzy and it don't get any closer . What gives? Is my dizzy one tooth off? I did install a new oem style damper from butler. Tried putting the timing light plug wire on the #2 and #8 wire just to see if it gets any closer to the mark, but it did not

Last edited by RMTZ67; 10-02-2019 at 12:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Very confusing to read... please restate your exact problem and members can be of better help

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO44 View Post
Very confusing to read... please restate your exact problem and members can be of better help
After rebuilding the engine and attempting to set the timing with the vacuum hose removed and plugged. My damper mark is about 2" from TDC. Does not get closer but seems to idle decent. I installed a new balancer from butler during the rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191001-175915_Gallery.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	121621  

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
With any aftermarket balancer you should verify TDC and make sure the pointer and balancer match up. Put cylinder #1 at TDC. If the tdc mark on the balancer is not matching the pointer on your block then you need to get an adjustable timing pointer. Or use the factory pointer on the block side and add timing tape to your balancer. Here’s a link to some timing tape. This one has different strips for different size balancers and its only a few bucks

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...BoC9IUQAvD_BwE
cij911 likes this.

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Both my timing chain gears were set at 12:00 position. New BP damper only goes on one way. Then set number one piston on compression stroke and TDC. then dropped the distributor facing close to the number 1 plug and started my firing order there going counter clockwise. Fired up on first hit on breakin. I removed vacuum from distributor and plugged it, Timing light wire on #1 plug. so anybody see any reason why my timing mark is so far from my marks on my timing cover?
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTZ67 View Post
After rebuilding the engine and attempting to set the timing with the vacuum hose removed and plugged. My damper mark is about 2" from TDC. Does not get closer but seems to idle decent. I installed a new balancer from butler during the rebuild.
So your saying that the mark does NOT move when you rotate the dizzy? Could it be a timing light issue? Could you be pushing the wrong button on the light?
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Skeleton View Post
So your saying that the mark does NOT move when you rotate the dizzy? Could it be a timing light issue? Could you be pushing the wrong button on the light?
It moves, but nowhere close. I tried two timing lights that I have and it is the same with both. I also tried connecting the timing light to the #8 and 2 wires just to see if it moved closer, but actually moved farther. I called butler and they are going to allow me to send the damper back and have it checked. Not sure what else it could be.
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
So the light moves but no where close the the scale on the timing cover? FYI my 68 400 with a cam base timing is about 24 degrees BTDC at idle which is off the stock scale. Thant's where it runs best. So if you keep turning the dizzy it won't change at a certain point?
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Skeleton View Post
So the light moves but no where close the the scale on the timing cover? FYI my 68 400 with a cam base timing is about 24 degrees BTDC at idle which is off the stock scale. Thant's where it runs best. So if you keep turning the dizzy it won't change at a certain point?
It moves, but like 6 degrees maybe
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTZ67 View Post
It moves, but like 6 degrees maybe
Don't remember, so refresh my memory. Are you using the stock 9-bolt water pump or did you convert to the later 11-bolt?

Why I ask is that if you are using the factory style 2-piece '67 balancer and went with the updated 11-bolt water pump, the timing cover scales are different and would be off - '67 balancer with '68 and up timing cover would be a mismatch.

Last edited by PontiacJim; 10-07-2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: 9-bolt WP, not 8-bolt. Duh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in