User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Tri Power cam

Gentlemen,

I am converting a 335HP 4 bbl car to a trip power set up..The question nagging me is do I change out to the camshaft that came with a 65 Tri power from the factory? Will it make that much difference in the way the car will perform? Is there an additional requirement for different lifters? Were they the same lifters for both engines at that time?
If so, then where can I find a correct spec camshaft for this conversion, and lifters if I need them to be accurate. I can't seem to find the cam by googling "tri power camshaft for 1965 GTO"

Anybody have this same experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I found my answer on the cam...I found the specs.. Too ka bunch of hunt and pecking but I have the correct cam identification.
Now the question about the lifters remains the same...Same lifters as a 067 Cam or different?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinck View Post
Ok, I found my answer on the cam...I found the specs.. Too ka bunch of hunt and pecking but I have the correct cam identification.
Now the question about the lifters remains the same...Same lifters as a 067 Cam or different?
Yes, all Pontiac cams used the same hydraulic lifters. You want to avoid using the cheap chinese made lifters and use ones like Comp cams or Johnson Hi-Lifts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Lifters

At one time, the CC lifters were said to be reboxed Hy-Lift Johnson lifters, as were Summit lifters. But, there has been much discussion of this on Pontiac forums, in recent years. It seems that many vendors switch suppliers, occasionally, depending on price.

It has been said that Rhoads lifters are actually Hy-lift Johnson units, which Rhoads modifies, and resells.

Crower sells a lifter they call Cam Saver. They're modified to splash extra oil on the cam lobes. I have not read any bad reviews of them. Don't know who their supplier is.

http://www.crower.com/media/pdf/2008b/140-141.pdf

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...w/make/pontiac
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

There will never be a Chinese part on my car..not if I know about it and have a choice...geezzzz. A Chinese part on a GTO? Not in my world.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinck View Post
There will never be a Chinese part on my car..not if I know about it and have a choice...geezzzz. A Chinese part on a GTO? Not in my world.
In today's world, that might be a hard thing to do. BUT, if you have enuff $$ you can avoid most Chinese parts. For example: if you want forged rods, you can buy Crower rods for about $800--twice the price of RPM H-beams. If you want a stroker crank, you can buy a custom billet for a few thousand, rather than a Chinese forged crank for $700. I think most all stock type motor mounts are Chinese. And on & on it goes. Chinese parts are just a lot cheaper, and most Pontiac guys seem to be on a limited budget. Same deal when most everybody began to shop at Wal-Mart, and put most of the small town stores out of business. For lower income people, price trumps quality.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

I understand the economics of lower price versus American made quality. I am very familiar with Chinese manufacturing too. I worked with a number of factories on the mainland over the years and the one thing I can attest to is that their quality is always circumspect. We always had to Q.C. Every part we received and the rejection rate was so high, we finally abandoned that market and had our stuff made in USA where the rejection rate was zero..
I will stick with USA parts for my car..but I understand that is a personal and a financial decision. I am not a snob about it..just like to support our guys instead of a Chinese worker.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:21 PM

I'm just curious as to exactly how much more you are willing to pay for USA made parts. ???

For example: Eagle rods are said to be made in China, then machined in the USA. So, would you buy $850 Crower rods instead of the $472 Eagle rods, just to avoid Chinese products ?

https://www.crower.com/connecting-ro...-fit-7716.html

https://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/EGL-CRS6625PP3D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in