Tripower & distributor size (HEI??) - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Tripower & distributor size (HEI??)

I am currently using a standard GM HEI unit on a tripower setup and cannot get enough rotation with the distributor to properly set timing . I have tried numerous times to "walk" the distributor and be able to get the timing set, but the HEI cover is so large I have very little room for adjustment. I am wondering if there is a smaller unit that won't hit the back carb and will work well. (I'd really like to use an HEI unit if possible.) Thanks in advance

Chris

1965 GTO Convertible 3 speed tri-power drum brakes originally

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
There are lots of small cap options. But, I think they all require a remote coil. Some like a factory points type dist with one of the Pertronix Ignitor elec conversions installed. The Ignitor III has a built in rev limiter.

The MSD Ready-to-Run is popular.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8528/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...00-1/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...0700/overview/

There are some dist that require a box. I had to buy a replacement box. So, I don't recommend the box, for street cars. Just one more part to go bad. IMO

Last edited by bigD; 11-20-2017 at 01:36 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
HEI and tripower do not go together as you learned. This has been covered in a number of posts and you might find a recommendation within one of the many posts. Use the SEARCH option in the upper right.

I like Pertronix and got one of their electronic distributors and matching coil because I wanted a factory look and not the big HEI cap. If you rather not spend the money on a billet distrib., I would simply get a factory distributor and go with the Pertronix electronic conversion - also have done that and have been satisfied with the results.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I installed a rebuilt distributor and converted to the Pertonix setup with external Pertronix coil, installed new wires, set the timing (easy), and the car screams .

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:16 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cij911 View Post
Thanks guys! I installed a rebuilt distributor and converted to the Pertonix setup with external Pertronix coil, installed new wires, set the timing (easy), and the car screams .
Perfect. Just make sure you have 12volts going to the Pertronix as the instructions say. Factory wiring/points uses a resistor wire and drops voltage down to around 8-9volts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Perfect. Just make sure you have 12volts going to the Pertronix as the instructions say. Factory wiring/points uses a resistor wire and drops voltage down to around 8-9volts.
Yeppers

Current setup:
400 cu in with tri-power
4 speed Muncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in