valve covers - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
valve covers

I am slowly putting my car back together. Five years ago I purchased some parts for the project. Edelbrock Elite valve covers were in the mix. After installing them, I tried to install my factory a/c compressor. I found that the valve cover is 11/16" too tall, so my a/c bracket that mounts from the intake to the back of the compressor does not reach, and the compressor does not adjust in far enough to install the belt. Has anyone had a similar problem like thiis and if so how did you remedy the situation. I don't want to cut and weld the original bracket.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Longer belt?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Longer belt?
That won't do it, it spans over the valve cover and has the adjuster slot in it.
I barely clears the stock cover so if this one is taller the bracket won't drop down far enough to get the bolt in the slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Assembly 003.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	580.9 KB
ID:	69794  

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:31 AM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Turn those valve covers into wall art and put some Pontiac valve covers back on it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 06:06 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
What Alky said. Install the right valve covers.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
same problem

I have the same problem but the new engine I am installing has Stud Girdle so for me to get AC I most likely will have to go with a March Performance Pulley Kit.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
What Alky said. Install the right valve covers.

Guys that put the stud girdle can't use the stock covers. BUT, I wonder if you could use the valve cover spacers under the stock covers to make it work?

They are not inexpensive, but here are a few in different heights. One might actually work with the application of factory covers. MediceMfg ...Valve Cover Spacers - Pontiac

And of course, Butler has valve covers and a better price on their spacers. Butler Performance - Pontiac Valve Covers

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the tall valve cover from Butler all ready. I will try to get to the AC after I get the right headers. I order the Doug d port headers they should be here by Wednesday.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Here is another option...take out the AC and all that firewall mess, compressor as well. Put in the AC delete box and gain all that room....

Now I can fix AC, I have an AC recycle machine and all the tools to do it...

But I like to ride with the windows down and the music up...if you set up your ac vents with a good clear blower..those things really blow the air..and with the vent Windows pretty good.....now I know everyone says their climate is the hottest...

Understand, bug that compressor was for R-12.., and you will likely convert it to 134...not original either, and not as efficient a system designed for 134...

I never thought those old AC system were that great, compressor runs constantly, cooling is up to modern standards, and I like this car to be different than my modern cars, not all coupes up in the glass bubble...

So if you tough it out on some hot days, mostly you won't miss it!.....

And the AC car then gives you the benefits of the 4 core radiator and the return fuel line and a good air vent system....and you won't have that compressor load..or all the freon leaks that every system gets eventually...

There are different ways to do it
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans guy View Post
Here is another option...take out the AC and all that firewall mess, compressor as well. Put in the AC delete box and gain all that room....

Now I can fix AC, I have an AC recycle machine and all the tools to do it...

But I like to ride with the windows down and the music up...if you set up your ac vents with a good clear blower..those things really blow the air..and with the vent Windows pretty good.....now I know everyone says their climate is the hottest...

Understand, bug that compressor was for R-12.., and you will likely convert it to 134...not original either, and not as efficient a system designed for 134...

I never thought those old AC system were that great, compressor runs constantly, cooling is up to modern standards, and I like this car to be different than my modern cars, not all coupes up in the glass bubble...

So if you tough it out on some hot days, mostly you won't miss it!.....

And the AC car then gives you the benefits of the 4 core radiator and the return fuel line and a good air vent system....and you won't have that compressor load..or all the freon leaks that every system gets eventually...

There are different ways to do it
That is a tempting thought for my '68 GTO w/factory air. With low freon it's not much use and the changeover to 134 takes money away from the GTO's primary purpose-----performance. One reason I like my '68 is she still has the vent windows in the doors....when I was young that was the "factory A/C" on most cars. True, in SC having air is really nice but this is not my daily driver (which does require A/C) so why be a wimp on weekend cruising. Put the windows down and hear those pipes and Q-jet secondaries! (No more burned hands getting out spark plugs from behind that damn compressor.) Thanks, LeMans guy!.........(where do I find a good A/C delete box?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in