65 GTO-389 starving for fuel? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
65 GTO-389 starving for fuel?

I recently installed a new Edelbrock fuel pump on my 389. It’s rated at 6 psi and 110 ghp. The engine is .030 over, mild cam, headers, ram air III heads, Performer intake and Holley 600 cfm carb, turbo 400 trans. On a hard throttle take off in low gear the engine stalled after about 10 seconds like it was starved for fuel. I figured it needed more carb. The Holley is a square bore and has a adapter plate on the spread bore intake. So, I then installed a 750 Q-jet and the same damn thing happened again! I did not have this problem with the stock fuel pump and Holley carb but I felt like it would develop more power with a new fuel pump and QJet. The fuel pickup in the tank is also new. Do I have a bad Edelbrock fuel pump or is there some other cause for this starvation problem?

Also, what CFM carb is recommended for this set up? According to some CFM calculators I’ve a 600 cfm should be fine. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Roqetman; 10-24-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Additional question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:23 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Garage
If the problem did not occur until you put the new fuel pump on, then get a new fuel pump gasket and install your old fuel pump & Holley back to the way it was seeing you were not having any issues. If it runs as it did, then you know it is the pump and it may be defective.

The Edelbrock pump may actually be too much for a Q-jet carb if you were to keep it and you could experience flooding problems. I think it is what the Holley carbs call for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Complete Engine Compartment Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in